Page updated on 11-17-2017

rear end

bigjohnsons34
08-27-2007, 07:32 AM
hi i have a 95 blazer and i noticed the the cover on my rear end is rusted, and i noticed the the gear oil is leaking through. it looks easy to replace but i was wondering how to refill it, i noticed that there a 2 ft tube that comes off the top of the rear end and goes over the frame with a plug on the end... is this how i would refill it, how do i know how much oil to put in and what type of gear oil do i use... thanks

MT-2500
08-27-2007, 09:46 AM
80/90 GL5 gear oil for regular rear ends.
Look on the front side of it and you will see a fill and check level pipe plug.
Fill it up till it runs out.

For towing or and some newer rear ends the use synthetic gear lube.
If it is one of them it should have a tag where the filler plug is and check owners manual for specs.

blazes9395
08-27-2007, 11:18 AM
I'll just add a little more of what essentially MT said. The fill hole is on the front right,(passenger side of the differential). Take your time and you will eventually get it to come off. They can be difficult to get off sometimes.

scholzee
08-27-2007, 12:26 PM
To add a little more the plug will have a square recess in it, use a 3/8" extension on a ratcht to remove. Its like a giant set screw but instead of an allen wrench you use the square end of a ractcht extension to get it out. With the truck reasonably level put fuild in the hole until it leaks out while you are not adding any more and reinstall the plug.

Add your comment to this topic!