Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

77 B clutch problems

MGvol
08-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Last week in got in my 77 B and noticed the clutch pedal was very soft. I got under it and observed that the slave cylinder wasn't moving the clutch lever. I've since replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders, but the pedal is still very soft and the clutch doesn't operate. I've tried bleeding the clutch lines using he bleed valve on the slave cylinder with no luck. Is there some trick to priming the clutch hydrolics? Has anyone seen this problem before? I'm totally stumped.

Thanks,
John

Flash75
08-27-2007, 07:16 AM
John, They can be difficult to bleed. New slave cylinders usually come with the bleed screw in the wrong place, it should be in the top fitting when installed. If you have fluid coming out the bleeder when bleeding you can try this; Have a helper pump the clutch and hold it. Under the car open the bleeder and at the same time push the slave push rod toward the front of the car, that should get the air out. It may be easier if you remove the clevis pin prior to the bleeding. Another method that some people use is to bleed from the bottom. You have to rig up something to push the fluid through the bleeder screw, A clean pump type oil can with a short hose should work. Start with the master cylinder reservoir empty and have a helper watch while you pump fluid in, you don't want it to overflow.

Clifton

Add your comment to this topic!