Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can a fuse just pop?

Tux427
08-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Hello,

My 2002 Windstar would not start up this afternoon. The starter cranked, but would not fire up.

I put some starter fluid in the air intake it it fired up for a second or two then died.

I looked and noticed the 15A fuse had blown. I replaced it and it seems to be running now after several retries.

Can a fuse just blow? Just looking for some input and/or reassurances or somethings to look for. Is it out of line for a fuse to go on a near six year old vehicle? Everything seems ok otherwise.

Thanks

phil-l
08-23-2007, 06:54 AM
A 15A fuse will pop - if more than 15A tries to go through it.

If an unusual event caused this to happen, there's little to worry about. Of course, you don't yet know what that event was - and if it really was unusual.

We need some more info to go on: Which fuse popped? Where was it located (which fuse box; which fuse number)?

Tux427
08-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Update.

I replaced the 15A fuse (number 5) in the engine compartment by the battery a few days ago (when I first posted). It did not start initially. The engine turned. I tied a few times, waited......but then fired up after some messing.

I fired it up (two days ago) and I drove it from my driveway to the street and left it for a day. I've been down with a cold so slept most the day.

Anyhow I went to move it on the street and it did start up right away and I though ok it was just a fuse. I pulled it up 15 feet and shut it off. I then noticed I was kind of parked crooked and went to restart it and it would not start again.

It turns over, but will not fire up. I checked the fuse and it was fine. I sprayed some starter fluid in again it did briefly fire, but once again died as it had no stream of fuel.

I was quite frustrated as my family relies on this to work and it is not. I ate supper tried again and still no start. I went back in discouraged to watch TV for a hour and tried again after that and it fired up. I drove it back into my driveway so if I need to work on it I can. I tried it this morning and it started just fine.

The gas is fine and new and I put some heet in to make sure there was no water, but I am sure there is not.

I did notice that the usual "whirr" (fuel pump priming) you first hear when you turn the key did not happen twice last night and failed to start. The final time and this morning I do hear the "whirr".

As I said my wife and kids rely on this vehicle running and I am not confident that it is reliable after the last few days.

Is it the fuel pump? Could there be anything else? I am fairly good at trouble shooting and fixing things, but I just need a hand in what to look for.

Thanks

busboy4
08-24-2007, 09:21 AM
Hi
I seem to remember that posts have referred to bad fuel pump relays. I don't know for sure where yours is, but I would start looking in that engine compartment fuse/relay box. Could it be that the relay is sticking and or weak, and draws a large current trying to close and power the fuel pump? Once before did it finally draw enough current to fry the fuse?

Just some speculation to fuel (sorry) your search for the problem. I know it is frustrating. Just be broken or work, but not both.

Tux427
08-24-2007, 01:29 PM
I'll give that a look tonight...thanks.

Yeah I can do solid failures, but this intermittent stuff is frustrating.

Tux427
08-24-2007, 04:45 PM
I swapped the fuel relay (207) with the wiper relay (202). They have the same part number.

Same result.....no start.

With the ignition off I have 12v at the front pin and zero on the back. When the ignition is turned on I get 12V at the rear pin. I am assuming then that the relay is getting 12V and it is just not getting to the pump?

Still don't hear the pump prime up. Although it did once intermittently, then it won't now. :(

Any ideas next?

fy171
08-24-2007, 10:38 PM
if you know how to use a volt meter i whould open the connector that goes to the fuel pump at the gas tank and see if your geting 12 volts there

BlueCaprice
08-25-2007, 12:05 AM
I've had three vehicles that I replaced the fuel pumps on. When they died I had already suspected the pumps were going so I got a rubber mallet, and I had my wife turn the key while I pounded on the gas tank with the rubber mallet. Sure enough they all fired up just fine. One of them I drove around for almost six months just hitting the tank to start it before I finally got around to changing the pump.

Tux427
08-25-2007, 01:18 PM
if you know how to use a volt meter i whould open the connector that goes to the fuel pump at the gas tank and see if your geting 12 volts there

Any idea which pin? There are a couple on the main connector. It looks semi-round with a half dozen pins or so. I'll look in a bit here.

Thanks again

Add your comment to this topic!