Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

When to change gears?

tiby00
08-21-2007, 09:58 AM
Hi

I have a question about manual transmissions for the Tiburon. Specifically the 2000 models. I want to get a 5 speed transmission but I am slowly but surely learning how to drive a manual. Can anyone tell me when I should change gears appropriately? The car will be stock. For example...I want to know the speed you can go and what the tachometer should read before I change from 1st to 2nd.

Also...when I'm slowing down...say on a highway and you're traveling 70 MPH. Would you hold in the clutch while you're taking the exit ramp and leave it in 5th gear or what? How would you drive it while you're slowing down?

Thanks!

tiby00
08-23-2007, 12:01 AM
Gee...it's nice to know that when someone has questions they don't get answered. I know it's only been what....2 days? I can do a google search...sorry I came to these forums. :banghead:

peachferrari
08-31-2007, 11:41 AM
Gee, it's nice to see someone has a little patience.

The 2.0L engine is decently powerful, so shift points aren't all that important. For fuel economy, I'll go 10-15 mph in each gear before going up to the next. I don't have a tach in my Elantra, but I imaging it's between 2000-3000 rpm. For passing or more power etc you can rev higher. For slowing, I'll usually just leave it in whatever gear it's in, and let the engine help slow the car until the revs get down around 1500 or so, then I'll push the clutch in. Basically it just takes some practice and after awhile you won't even think about it.

Add your comment to this topic!