Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Just got a 99 Forester L

greatwhitehunter
08-20-2007, 07:49 AM
Just picked up a 99 Forester L w/ 178K. It's a 5 speed with ice cold A/C. I am loving it a ton already. The only issue it seems to have is a slight oil leak that is dripping & burning onto the exhaust. Have not seen any smoke, just smell the burnt oil smell. I have yet to get it on the lift and check it out. It seems to only drip when engine is running and more towards the middle/rear of the car. I am thinking it might be the rear main seal. However this is Ford Mustang repairs telling me this, as I have no experience with Subaru's. I picked it up for a great price, so I don't mind putting some love/work into it. I will post up when I figure out where the oil is coming from.

jg09
10-06-2007, 12:36 PM
Sweet! Ironically, looking at your sig line, we own a Toyota Camry and a Forester, too.:lol: Foresters are great little cars that can do a lot. Ours is a Gen. II (2003) and I haven't driven a Gen. I like yours, but I've heard a lot of good things about them, too.

tshih
10-09-2007, 10:07 AM
My dad has the same year Forester as yours. Have you had to adjust the valves yet. Please post procedure and special tricks when you learn them so I can do my dad's engine which makes a rattling noise upon start up when cold.

Congrats on the "new" car.

greatwhitehunter
10-30-2007, 09:15 AM
I took it into the lube place yesterday for its second oil change with me. It has a small oil leak from where the engine and trans meet. This is likely the rear main seal. It leaks a small amount onto the exhaust, just enough to smell, but not see any smoke. Between oil changes no notable drop in oil level. I am running 10-30 Pensoil, thinking about running a thicker oil to see if less oil leaks.

freakray
10-30-2007, 09:24 AM
I very much doubt it is the main seal.

My wife's '01 developed the same symptoms, it was the oil seal on the side shaft, the oil finds a path back towards the main seal and drips onto the exhaust.

BTW, if I recall correctly, there is a recall bulletin on this.

tshih
02-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Anyone interested in getting a new never used complete factory repair manual set of 6 volumes for the 1999 model year Subaru Forester please email me at pfan12000@yahoo.com. I'm asking $150 free shipping.

greatwhitehunter
05-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Update: Forester is still kicking butt. Still has the slight oil leak, no biggie. Slight whine from shifter boot area every now and then (throwout bearing?). At 190K it drives, shifts, handles like a dream. I put some 18 inch rims and it hugs the road like it's on rails. I drive it hard, high speed curves, kayak on roof, etc. It holds 2 large dog crates, 2 kayaks, and 2 mountain bikes. I will drive this car until it explodes and then I will buy another!

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/wonderdogaustin/rghhh.jpg

jg09
05-06-2008, 10:24 AM
I'm liking those wheels with that paint! Glad to hear that you're enjoying your Forester and it's SUV-like versatility/car-like handling.

greatwhitehunter
05-06-2008, 10:39 AM
The wheels came off an 05 Forester, they are Konig. Got them on Austin Craigslist for $180 with the rubber. I love my Forester! http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/wonderdogaustin/newwheels003.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/wonderdogaustin/newwheels005.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!