Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

mechanic labor charges, Serpentine belt & signal switch

RedRodeo
08-20-2007, 02:00 AM
I got my 95 Rodeo last Oct, it is starting to need minor repairs now. the signals went out, 1st the left and then the right. When the right one went out I could tell that it was the signal switch that had gone out. To diagnosis it they said they had to check the flashers 1st, pulling the dash to get to them. It was the signal switch, $178.45 for the part, and $204.45 for the labor. Since I thought it was the switch, they said they did not charge me for pulling the dash....
I need to get the serpentine belt replaced soon, squeals for about 2 mins when I start it, their estimate to replace it is $121.59. Does that sound right?
I would really like to know where I can get one of those books that estimates the time it should take to do a repair, or something comparable.
Being a 50+ woman I would rather not be ripped off everytime I need to get work done on my Rodeo, and I am not your basic dumb girl vehicle owner.
I read thru alot of your threads last night and found alot of great info. This kind of chat I like...Thank you

Andie_J
08-20-2007, 07:20 AM
:eek: If your S belt is anything like mine, thats way too much. It took me longer to draw the diagram of how the belt went than to change it. It just takes one long wrench to turn and hold the adjuster to give slack to take the old one off. And do the same thing to get the new one on. Andie:)

Gizmo42
08-20-2007, 10:20 AM
I agree with Andie. The serpentine belt is pretty easy to do. I think it took about 10 minutes. The hardest part is figuring out which way everything loops around. Should only be about $30-40 for the belt itsself.

I know the '95 engine has a bit different lay out and might be 2 belts so it might be a bit longer time but still not difficult. I can check alldata when I get home to make sure and look up the 'booked' hours.

RedRodeo
08-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Thank you for the info, I can get my son-in-law to help me do this, he offered but I wanted to be sure it wouldn't be too difficult before I took him up on it.
I looked these up on Parts America, which length do I need?
Dayco Serpentine Belt: 9/16" x 31.5" 4 Rib $11.99
Dayco Serpentine Belt: 9/16" x 37.75" 4 Rib $17.79
These 2 have 1 yr warranties where the goodyear ones only have a 3 month warranty.

FL 3.2L
08-20-2007, 03:37 PM
$121.59? That guy must have a nice boat!
Which engine do you have? Four or 6 cylinder?

trooperbc
08-20-2007, 04:45 PM
does that site use oem parts numbers as reference. if so, just look up your part on the isuzu online parts site www.myisuzuparts.com (http://www.myisuzuparts.com) , get the number and you are set.

btw, as i remember JLEMOND gives dayco high marks and goodyear not so.

//bc

RedRodeo
08-20-2007, 05:58 PM
V6 3.2 Liter FI,
what is OEM? It does show the part #
Belt: 9/16" x 31.5" 4 Rib Poly Cog; Comp. & Idler, w/A.C.
Belt: 9/16" x 37.75" 4 Rib: Poly Cog; Fan & Alt.
right under each belt it has a place to click to what vehicle this belt fits, both show 1993 - 1997 RODEO (http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductGuideEngines.aspx?MfrCode=DAY&MfrPartNumber=5040315&Make=ISUZU&Model=RODEO&Begin=1993&End=1997), one is V6 3.2 Liter FI - VIN V O.H.C.- SOHC, and other is ,,,,V6 3.2 Liter FI - VIN V O.H.C.- SOHC,
That's confusing.
I'll check that website with part #
PartsAmerica.com is cool, because once you find the parts, it will tell what local stores (Checker, Shucks, Advanced Auto Parts) the part is available at. And can pay for it online and pick it up in about an hour. It worked out great when I sent my son in Alaska some parts, had to shipped those.

RedRodeo
08-20-2007, 06:03 PM
parts website needs 10 digits and these 2 belts on parts america only have 7

Gizmo42
08-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Oh yeah.. forgot to ask about what engine.

All data says for the v-6 it should be 0.4 hrs to replace one belt and 0.2 hrs for each additional belt. It shows 3 belts for the v6 (one for alternator/fan, one for ps pump, one for a/c). Doesnt really show the belt for the 4 cylinder but I think it has 1 belt. Same labor time.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/Gizmo420/95belts.jpg

Here's the isuzu OEM part numbers in case you want them..
BELT; A/C CMPR 8-97064-556-0 11-1992 and later
BELT; P/S PUMP 8-97086-828-0 09-1993 and later
BELT; COOLING FAN 8-97064-555-0 11-1992 and later

FL 3.2L
08-20-2007, 07:42 PM
As Giz pointed out, you have 3 separate belts that could be sqealing. If it's been more than 30K miles, you should do all three. Usually it is the alternator belt that needs a little tightening.

RedRodeo
08-20-2007, 10:00 PM
You have all been a great help, thank you so much.
Gizmo, Great diagram! Is this book the one that I was asking about for labor times?
FL 3.2L, he may just have a nice boat, but I'm not helping him pay for it, thanks to all of you.
trooperbc, I will keep that www.myisuzuparts.com (http://www.myisuzuparts.com/) in my computer for furture use.
Andie_J, just knowing 1 belt can be put on, in a few minutes and that the belt itself is only about $20, helps alot.
I don't need a mechanic for this!
Have some family stuff going on so may be awhile before we get this done. Is it OK if I come back and let you all know how it went and visit?

Cat Fuzz
08-20-2007, 11:57 PM
For a labor guide check your local libraries website. Usually you can access all sorts of free auto repair information as long as you have a library card. It's usually called EBSCO. The repair information is about as good as a Chilton but it surprises me sometimes with the detailed info it has.

Gizmo42
08-21-2007, 12:29 AM
Is this book the one that I was asking about for labor times?

Yes. Most shops will use all data or some other program that gives an estimated time to do different tasks. Its called 'booked hours'. I really dont like shops that used booked hours though. If it says 4 hrs and it takes them an hour they still charge you for 4 hrs. But if it takes 8 hrs they charge you for 8 :rolleyes: I like shops that use it as a guide for estimating costs but charge actual hours, but they are hard to find.

trooperbc
08-21-2007, 01:54 PM
if you're looking for this, you might have better results looking for
a flat rate manual
which is the more common terminolgy for the time a job "should" take.
most flat rate manuals will give at least two sets of times, one for customer charges and the other for warranty work which is always less, sometimes *much* less.

//bc

RedRodeo
08-21-2007, 11:44 PM
Thanks for more info, I like the library idea too.

Add your comment to this topic!