Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Problem with stick Accord Radio, Please HElp

rjw123
08-20-2007, 12:12 AM
I have a stock 1994 honda accord dx, Its a 5 sp, And has a 6 disc changer in the trunk....

The rear speakers were not working when i bought the car a week ago, when i go into the trunk and unplug the driver side rear speaker the passeneger side one Works, But as soon as i plug it in again neither work...

Now if i do the same thing to the Passenger side rear speaker (unplug it) neither still work, So in essence when i unplug the driver side rear speaker the pass one works, when both are plugged in neither works, and when the driver side only is plugged in neither work?

Now i pulled the headunit out and the wires all look ok, another ? where do the wires go to? when i pull out the headunit i can only get down so far, and the black wires from the Cd changer go down even further (near the shifter)

and my final ? my cd changer only works/Comes the the speakers when the radio is on FM and tuned to 88.5 FM is that normal?

so my 3 ?S are

1. whats wrong with the driver side rear speaker deal???

2. Is it normal for a stock 6cd changer to work only on FM tuned to 88.5??

3 and how do i further remove the dash area around the headunit to expose the rest of the wiring? (i got the headunit and tray out)

Thanks!

00accord44
08-20-2007, 10:57 AM
1) It sounds like your drivers side speaker is shot and they're wired linear so the blown speaker is stopping the good one from receiving any current.

2) Is the headunit stock or aftermarket? There should be a separate mode for the CD/changer entirely, the radio should have nothing to do with it. If its an aftermarket unit, I suspect whoever hooked it up didn't know what they were doing. I know iPod converters work in tape decks at certain radio freq's but disc changers should have their own input. If the unit installed doesn't have a preout for a disc changer then thats probably why it was linked to the radio function.

3) There may be screws behind the ash tray that secure the deck frame. I'm looking at pics of the 5th gen interior and I don't see any obvious spots where they would hide the screws. Check the edges for any plastic covers that may be concealing screw mounts. Its possible its held in place along the edges by plastic tabs that can be gently pryed away and later snapped back in, but don't quote me on it.

rjw123
08-20-2007, 01:57 PM
thanks... Yea its the stock headunit which has two mode buttons on it,

One button says AM/CD and the other says FM1/FM2

And the cd player only works on FM at 88.5, Weird..

Also i got the headunit out by the two screws that you described, i just cant fig out how to remove the dash piece which includes the clock/hazard button/cig lighter etc...

Thanks again for your help, I will try introducing a new spker and see if that works

wiseguy01
08-25-2007, 01:23 AM
its not wierd its called an fm modulator when u pull the stereo out ull notice a black box thats the modulator because the stereo doesnt support changers its aftermarket hookup completly normal little more hassle though and try switching the polarity on the driver side speaker reverse polarity can cause this too... look inside the vents for screws

Add your comment to this topic!