Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mr. Leveler (Mr. Reducer?)

willimo
08-19-2007, 02:32 AM
I know Gunze makes a product called Mr. Leveler, and have also heard of a Mr. Reducer, I believe. What sorts of paint is this product effective with? I just got myself a bottle of Honda touch up paint (which I believe is automotive lacquer, just like the real stuff on the cars) which I would like to reduce for airbrush use. Once upon a time, I used just regular lacquer thinner to thin it, with great success. Some time later, I did the same thing, and ended up getting the spiderweb paint texture associated with incompatible paint and thinner. This time, I will be putting the paint down on a heavily modified body, and therefore do not want to risk having to do it twice. So, simple question: is the paint I've picked up compatible with Mr. Leveler (is this even what I want to use for this purpose?), and if not, what should I use?

Thanks y'all!

klutz_100
08-19-2007, 03:21 AM
Will, it's difficult to be 100% sure if particular mixes are compatible or not without a test.

What I can tell you is that I swear by Mr. Leveling Thinner :D
I have mixed it with all the paints I have in my "library" - except acrylics, obviously - and it has worked out fine every time (Zero, Gunze Mr. Color, Tamiya TS paints).

I also have Mr Retarder but don't actually use it as I have never found the need to additionally "slow down" the paint but maybe in your own climate it might be useful?

HTH

robrex
08-19-2007, 03:52 AM
The spiderweb effect is usually caused by not having enough thinners in the paint. Just test it on a scrap body before you use it on the modified one?

cyberkid
08-19-2007, 04:46 AM
Mr. Leveler = Mr. Thinner + Mr Retarder
What I do with unsure paint mixes is put the paint and thinner in a mixing saucer and see if something wrong happens. I won't even risk 'testing' it directly in my AB. If that goes ok, I test spray on blank business cards. Pay extra attention to the edges of the cards when doing this, if a spider-web effect is possible the edges will show it first. And like robrex said, the spider-wrb effect is normally due to not enough thinner or wrong air pressure.
Klutz, I have used Mr. leveler with acrylics without any problems.
HTH

desmo16
08-19-2007, 08:57 AM
Hello,
For mine, and possibly others', benefits: typically, what amount of Mr. Leveller do you add to your paint mix?
Thx,
Michael

willimo
08-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the help, guys. I did intend to test it a little on something before actually spraying the body, but wanted to know if it would be worth spending money on the stuff in the first place. If it works with Zero, then it should be ok.

In this case, I'm intending to mix it with my paint to the consistency of milk (just as always); which isn't a set ratio, Desmo, but more of a stop-when-it-looks-right (if that makes any sense).

Also, oh wise sages of model paints - where can this stuff be found? Hiroboy lists it (but is out of stock), but HLJ doesn't list it at all! Do I just need to be patient and wait until Hiro has it in stock again? Is there a vendor out there with a consistent supply of Gunze products?

Thanks again! Y'all are a big help.

klutz_100
08-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Sorry, I can't help you on the "where to buy it" question. I don't suppose an LHS in Warsaw is of much use to you :lol:

willimo
08-19-2007, 01:44 PM
No, that's a great help. Let me just climb into my Honda Civic and... not ever make it to Warsaw ;)

klutz_100
08-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Vodka is chilled and waiting :D

I suppose of you are desperate I could send you some (thinners, I mean)?

nakadds
08-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. I did intend to test it a little on something before actually spraying the body, but wanted to know if it would be worth spending money on the stuff in the first place. If it works with Zero, then it should be ok.

In this case, I'm intending to mix it with my paint to the consistency of milk (just as always); which isn't a set ratio, Desmo, but more of a stop-when-it-looks-right (if that makes any sense).

Also, oh wise sages of model paints - where can this stuff be found? Hiroboy lists it (but is out of stock), but HLJ doesn't list it at all! Do I just need to be patient and wait until Hiro has it in stock again? Is there a vendor out there with a consistent supply of Gunze products?

Thanks again! Y'all are a big help.

I bought my stuff from www.greatmodels.com. Be careful how much retarder you add to the paint or it will take weeks or longer to completely dry. I added some to TS paint and it was still a little sticky a few weeks later. The paint looks great, good shine and appears to be hard but if you held it for a couple of minutes it will leave a finger print. Other than that it works great.

hirofkd
08-19-2007, 03:17 PM
I've used the Leveling thinner with great success with both synthetic lacquer (Mr. Color, Tamiya TS sprays) and water-soluble acrylic (Mr. Aqueous Hobby Color and Tamiya Acrylic). I also use it with some odd custom-mixed automotive paints. But I always test, like the others have suggested.

I used to buy it from Best1Hobby, but it's closed, and now I have to get it from Rainbow Ten.

Add your comment to this topic!