Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1988 735i-Ignition Key won't turn

SirCarltontheGreat
08-18-2007, 01:46 PM
Just purchased great 1988 735i. First BMW-First Problem. Ignition key won't turn. Tried using rubber mallet, wd40, turning key while shaking/turning the wheel. HELP! If ignition needs to be replaced any ideas to keep cost low. Right now can't turn wheels or power on accesories.

lincolnmaster80
08-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Well, I don't want to know how the rubber mallot was used...

But is the key going in all the way? Something may be stopping it from doing so and thus won't turn. Get a can of compressed air and blow everything out...if nothing comes out then it's either really stuck or theres nothing in it. :P

Anyways, go here (http://www.bmwfans.info) and look up your car by the last 7 digits of your VIN. You'll find all the part numbers you need for practically everything on your car.

On my car, it looks as though I'd have to get a whole new lock cylinder with a new key...here's the part number, but look it up under your own VIN and it's under Steering --> Steering lock/Ignition switch and should be part number 5. There's a few other catagorys of Steering lock/ignition switch so check those out too.

Bear
08-20-2007, 07:43 AM
I used a rubber mallet to tap the lock cylinder housing while attempting to turn the key in order to get her into run so i could extract the lock cylinder. When you get her out buy a new lock cylinder and get her re-keyed (I have had to do this to two domestics I own, both DC products).

Add your comment to this topic!