Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Torque damper

dreager
08-18-2007, 09:18 AM
'92 PAU 300km

Has anyone tried using a torsion/torque strut engine damper seen here: http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=404544

as a supplement/support to stop the engine rocking backwards in the supercharged 3.8. (Mine moves a good 3 inches) I really don't think the one damper on the passenger side, top right of motor does a sufficient job and causes all kinds of exhaust system stress and breakage as happened in my case when my catpipe snapped after kicking in the SC. A dogbone mount is used on the Regal from the rad to the top of the motor, specifically for that reason as I see it. I realise the system is old but seriously......

If anyone has tried I would appreciate pics/or instructions as to your mounting points and choice of damper, and from whom. (The strut bar is shown here as one possible location) Negatives on this will also be considered.

Btw I have ordered new mounts.

Blue Bowtie
08-18-2007, 12:08 PM
You might be able to get most of what you would need from a salvage yard "W" Body with the Chevy 3.1L V-6, then adapt to the head/block as necessary:

http://72.19.213.157/files/WBodyEngineView.jpg

The only custom part(s) necessary would be the mount at the engine end. The factory mounts and "dog bones" are all rubberized to allow some limited movement.

Frankly, anything you can do to prevent the engine from moving/flexing 3" would probably be a good thing.

HotZ28
08-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Frankly, anything you can do to prevent the engine from moving/flexing 3" would probably be a good thing.
Yea, like replacing the existing left-front trans mount with an OEM, or Pioneer brand mount. Don’t waste your time, or money on Anchor brand mounts! Been there, done that!

dreager
08-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Yea, like replacing the existing left-front trans mount with an OEM, or Pioneer brand mount. Don’t waste your time, or money on Anchor brand mounts! Been there, done that!

Right om man! Just replaced the tranny mount and barely any movement now. Rubber was rotten.

Thanks !!!!!!

Add your comment to this topic!