Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

can i turbo my 92 jetta?

_GhOsT_
08-18-2007, 05:47 AM
i was wondering if its possible to put a turbo on my 1992 jetta gl 1.8L
also what are some other perfomance upgrades i can do

Rothart
09-04-2007, 10:34 PM
You can upgrade to a turbo but it's a lot more money than its worth for digifant injection. New Dimensions in San Jose, CA use to carry a turbo set up for them but they can be a real headache from what I've heard. You do have a lot of other options availible to you though. You can do the typical stuff like intake and exhaust and add a BroSpeed header and that will definitely help you out. There are also cam options out there as well and you can have the computer reprogrammed as well. Other tricks are VR6 injectors, adjustable cam gear, and larger throttle body.

For a little bit more than the cost of the turbo option, you can just go for an upgraded motor. Like a 2.0 liter or even a 2.1 which is what I had with a phase I, II, or III head and a .276 cam. That thing use to bark 4th gear and was able to peg the speedometer with no problem and still passed emissions testing.

Also, bolting on a turbo doesn't mean the motor will take it. In most cases like the A2 1.8, VW didn't have turbos in mind when they were built, so the odds you'll bend a rod due to too much PSI from the turbo is VERY likely.

Add your comment to this topic!