Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help, still clunking after bushing were changed

dottnmd
08-17-2007, 05:41 PM
I first got the clunking noise about 2 months ago. I thought it was the CV Half Shaft. Hubby replaced that and the clunking still existed. I cam to the forums and found the sticky that it was the lower arm bushing. We sprayed WD 40 on it and it helped until I could get into the garage. I work at a garage part time cleaning. They called that week for me to bring in my van but hubby had it at work. One thing led to another and that was 3 weeks ago. I got the van in to the garage today. They replaced the bushing and the clunking was still there. I pulled out the printout and they looked it over again. He said he was afraid of melting the bushing when welding it.

Can anyone give me a little bit more detailed info on the weld fix. This thing is driving me crazy after over a month and I am afraid something will break and run into more $$ down the road.

Desperate Dott

96wWindstar180K
08-17-2007, 06:06 PM
Look under Wiswinds signature and view pictures. He has a picture submitted by someone else of how and where to weld.

kahjdh
08-17-2007, 11:39 PM
what year?

dottnmd
08-18-2007, 06:05 AM
I've seen the photos but I still can't tell where the weld should exactly be. I can see weld marks.

Kahjdh, its a 95' with 3.8

LeSabre97mint
08-18-2007, 08:25 PM
I've seen the photos but I still can't tell where the weld should exactly be. I can see weld marks.

Kahjdh, its a 95' with 3.8

Hello

If the nut is removed from the rod along with the washer and rubber bushing, a wire feed welder should be able to put it all back together again.

Here is a link to Westwind's pics of the welded bushing: http://community.webshots.com/album/201931518cScpNK?start=96 I also have a 95 and I took the pics when I welded mine up.

Rergards

Dan

bychance ford
08-20-2007, 11:48 AM
I first got the clunking noise about 2 months ago. I thought it was the CV Half Shaft. Hubby replaced that and the clunking still existed. I cam to the forums and found the sticky that it was the lower arm bushing. We sprayed WD 40 on it and it helped until I could get into the garage. I work at a garage part time cleaning. They called that week for me to bring in my van but hubby had it at work. One thing led to another and that was 3 weeks ago. I got the van in to the garage today. They replaced the bushing and the clunking was still there. I pulled out the printout and they looked it over again. He said he was afraid of melting the bushing when welding it.

Can anyone give me a little bit more detailed info on the weld fix. This thing is driving me crazy after over a month and I am afraid something will break and run into more $$ down the road.

Desperate Dottsave your sanity,my has had the same noise for 3 years and 40k miles,i have change almost everything,even the bushing,i have never silenced it,sometimes it seems less,but i think i'm dreaming.changed struts,strut bearing,bushing,tie rods(inner and outer)and a bunch other stuff.learn to live with it.

dottnmd
08-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Welp, she is finally fixed. It turned out to be 2 bolts that were loose in the undercarriage. I had a new tranmission put in the van in late spring. The clunking started less than a month after and I never put 2 and 2 together. Seems there were 2 bolts that weren't tighten properly.

I couldn't let it go Bychance. I love my van and it is important that I keep her running and in working order.

Add your comment to this topic!