Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear Rotor

klvaleri
08-16-2007, 03:33 PM
Hi guys,

I am been told by auto mechanic that my rear rotors need to replace. I replaced them a couple years ago with the cheap one, now they said warp and need to replace them again. I want to do myself this time. Can any of you guys tell me what do I need as far as replacing rear rotors and pads at same time and how difficult is this? Thanks so much.

Gizmo42
08-16-2007, 06:31 PM
The rotors should be able to be turned if they are warped. Alot cheaper then replacing. Just pull them off and take them to an auto parts store that does brake turning. I had to go to a napa with a machine shop because the checkers down the steet didnt have an adapter big enough for the center bore.

Removing them and changing brake pads is pretty easy. Check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWVg-YmTw2A

One thing he doesnt show is loosening the parking brake adjuster. Sometimes needs to be done if the drum has worn to where there is a lip that the shoes catch on. For that just pull the rubber plug at the botton on the back plate of the brakes. Use a screwdriver to turn the adjuster a few clicks. Up is loosen, down is tighten.

trooperbc
08-16-2007, 10:24 PM
Hi guys,

I am been told by auto mechanic that my rear rotors need to replace. I replaced them a couple years ago with the cheap one, now they said warp and need to replace them again. I want to do myself this time. Can any of you guys tell me what do I need as far as replacing rear rotors and pads at same time and how difficult is this? Thanks so much. sounds like maybe you think they warped because they were cheap, i.e. thin or inferior material to begin with. if that's the case then machining them won't help, in fact that'll make them thinner still, and they will warp again in no time. warping is most often caused by overheating and overheating is often caused by overly thin or inferior metallurgy.

so, the machine shop will probably do it anyway, but make sure to get the rotors mic'ed to make sure that the rotors are not now past the factory minimum thickness spec.

i personnally like oem pads since they last so long and come with all the hardware 'springs' and grease. i can imagine the oem dealer price for rotors is going to be sky high but give stcharlesisuzu a call and find out. ask for merlin in missouri free shipping internet discount
find out about pad prices too.
http://isuzu.stcharlesauto.com/Department-Parts.aspx

good luck

//bc

//bc

klvaleri
08-20-2007, 06:13 AM
The rotors should be able to be turned if they are warped. Alot cheaper then replacing. Just pull them off and take them to an auto parts store that does brake turning. I had to go to a napa with a machine shop because the checkers down the steet didnt have an adapter big enough for the center bore.

Removing them and changing brake pads is pretty easy. Check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWVg-YmTw2A

One thing he doesnt show is loosening the parking brake adjuster. Sometimes needs to be done if the drum has worn to where there is a lip that the shoes catch on. For that just pull the rubber plug at the botton on the back plate of the brakes. Use a screwdriver to turn the adjuster a few clicks. Up is loosen, down is tighten.

Gizmo42,

I couldn't ask for any thing more than this video at all. It make my life so much easier on how to replace my rotors and pads. Thanks so much.

Gizmo42
08-20-2007, 10:22 AM
Not a problem. I just happened to find that one night while searching around on youtube. Figured it would come in handy for someone eventually.

Add your comment to this topic!