Engine Differences

Centrinomw
08-16-2007, 02:23 AM
Hello I am kind of deciding to buy a Colorado or another competitor. I just wanted to know if the 2.9L I-4 is very powerful just off of a red light. Also how is the 2.9L I-4 is compared to the 3.7L I-5. Is their a major power/acceleration differences between the two of them. I am not buying this pickup for towing or anything like that. My only use is to drive around a not get stuck in the snow.
Thanks

CMOSCMOS
09-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Centri,

Pretty big differences in the engines. 2.9L = 185HP versus the 3.7L @ 242HP.

If all you're doing is putting around, get the 2.9 and pick up some extra MPG's.

daveshapellSVT
10-04-2007, 07:24 PM
bad thing about the 3.7 is they blow head gaskets frequently. my friend works at a hummer dealership as a mechanic and he says one comes in every week with a blown head gasket. the hummer h3 has the 3.7.

another friend of mine has a extreme colorado with the 3.7. she has a k&n intake on it and she ran a 16.1 in the quarter if that helps you out. hers is a 5 speed also.

i'm currently looking into a colorado and i deffinatley wouldn't get the 3.7 just because of the gasket issue. plus i drove a 2.9 regular cab and it has plenty of pickup. i did notice that it had more top end power as opposed to low end. takes a minute to get into the power band. the 2.9 is my choice cause it gets better mpg and it doesn't have any magor issues that i've heard of yet. and it's much cheaper.

kb3jhp
11-16-2007, 01:05 AM
buy a ranger less money and is a better truck thats why it has been the best selling compact for like 20years ive had 4 chevys and have been upset with them all i love my dads 04 4.0 ranger you cant even tow hardly any thing with the colorado if you watch ads ford sell new rangers with 4wheel drive 4.0 super cab for $16000 thats what my dad paid

Add your comment to this topic!