Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Alternator output?

gtmud
08-15-2007, 08:59 PM
I have an 95 Wrangler, 2.5ltr w/ auto tranny. This is mostly a plain Jeep, with the exception of A/C. LAtely we have had charging/battery issues, which was found to be a weak battery. I did however check the alternators output under full load and only had about 50-60 amps. Is this the typical power output for this vehicle. We also are running a set of KC slim line 150's. Is this tomuch for it to handle and if so, what are my options. Thanks.

Crowbar51
11-29-2009, 06:18 AM
stamped into the housing of the alternator will be the ampere rating of the unit. It may have a paper label depending on the manufacturer. It will tell you the max output in amperage. If you can't find it go to your auto parts supplier and have them look up the alternator by vehicle application and see what the options are. The computer program will list all the options offered by Jeep. You can then make a determination, however if your Jeep has A/C, I would go with the max ampere output. If the original alternator was replaced with an aftermarket upgrade then you need to have them check the specs on that specific alternator as it will not be listed in their parts look up program. Be sure to put the old pulley on the new alternator or make sure they are EXACTLY the same size and diameter. This is critical for the alternator to spin at the correct rpm to produce design amps

Add your comment to this topic!