Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission Flush and Cooler installation

MARZBX157
08-14-2007, 11:06 PM
Hello Everyone,

My 2ooo Windstar just passed the 59K mi. mark and I'm planning on doing my 60K service maintenance soon. I'm planning on doing the tranny flush procedure and installing a B&M Super cooler in series with the OE cooler. I've read a lot of threads on this and researched many sites on this through the web, and seen the pictures posted by the members in this forum. I just need some clarification on a couple of things pertaining to these procedures and make sure I'm doing everything right.
First, I'm going to open the lower line to the tranny and connect to a clear tube into a container. I'll be putting in as much as what comes out of the tube which, from what I understand is around 3-4QT Right? Then drop pan, clean, replace then repeat flush. I'll be using around 15-18QT total for this. Then I'm installing the cooler by cutting the return tube and flaring it to 45 deg with a flaring tool. How do I adopt the 5/16" metal tube to the 3/8" rubber hose which will connect to the B&M Cooler and back to the hose at end of tranny? Will I need to buy a special fitting for this or can I use the ones that came with the kit? I also have some 3/8" splice fittings which I used to flush the power steering system and have left over. The tube which runs from the lower radiator is made up of a metal tube and rubber hose at opposite ends, are they both 5/16 or 5/16 to 3/8? I just don't want to get caught half way through the job and have run back to Home
Depot. Thanks

12Ounce
08-15-2007, 12:44 PM
I would say you have the flush procedure down pretty well.

I have never added an extra cooler but think I would mount the cooler and then study the hose hook-up before cutting into anything. Remember that the flow practice thru all the coolers should be "inter high, exit low" ... that will minimize particulates being trapped in the cooler and help them to make it back to the tranny pan ... where they can be wiped out by you later.

If certain hoses are routed so that they themselves can become trash traps, you may want to drop them individually for a cleaning during tranmission flushes.

MARZBX157
08-15-2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the reply,

I'm pretty confident on doing the flush, but my main concern is with the fittings. I know the van uses 5/16" tubing and hoses and the cooler comes with 3/8" hoses, I just want to make sure they mate up properly.

Add your comment to this topic!