Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 ls no oil pressure? *help*

rkan121
08-13-2007, 08:36 PM
I just recently bought a 98 ls with 70000 miles. im driving the car home directly after purchasing it and 3 miles later the car shuts off. I try to start it and the engine makes a loud knocking noise and the oil pressure light came and stays on. i get the car towed home and my father and I proceed to replace the oil pump, oil filter and oil. We do this and come back with the same results. HELP!! We dont think the pump was primed and cannot figure out what exactly is wrong. also it seems the pump may have not been the problem. Also the car does start but sounds like its going to blow up. Crank shaft, erg, ????Input Please!!!!

Speedy_1234
08-14-2007, 07:50 AM
Ok With the car turn off Jack up the car on the passenger side take off the cover guard off the side then with a racket and the right socket move the big pully 360 (in another words a circle) compelte if it does turn then it not the crankshaft or the piston rods if it does well, it might be one of thoses

slls
08-14-2007, 11:23 AM
I just recently bought a 98 ls with 70000 miles. im driving the car home directly after purchasing it and 3 miles later the car shuts off. I try to start it and the engine makes a loud knocking noise and the oil pressure light came and stays on. i get the car towed home and my father and I proceed to replace the oil pump, oil filter and oil. We do this and come back with the same results. HELP!! We dont think the pump was primed and cannot figure out what exactly is wrong. also it seems the pump may have not been the problem. Also the car does start but sounds like its going to blow up. Crank shaft, erg, ????Input Please!!!!

Blown engine, bearing shot. If private purchase no warranty. Go with a junk yard engine, should have 30 or 90 day warranty.

rkan121
08-14-2007, 12:09 PM
i believe the engine maybe blown, but with 70000 miles i am not going to give up quite yet. we already checked 1 bearing but have 3 more to go so here goes round two.nExt I am going to check the heads to see if we actually have oil pressure ....thanks for the input

rkan121
08-14-2007, 01:50 PM
Ok With the car turn off Jack up the car on the passenger side take off the cover guard off the side then with a racket and the right socket move the big pully 360 (in another words a circle) compelte if it does turn then it not the crankshaft or the piston rods if it does well, it might be one of thoses

I did this and we have 360 degree rotation. Also I checked my oil pressure via 35 psi gauge and it seems that after changing the filter and pump that i still do not have oil pressure. Lastly the crank is clean so now we are left to check the gear that turns the hex shaft for the oil pump to see if that is why there is no oil pressure. Next we are going to dig into the heads to look around. If anyone has any input on this non oil pressure issue Please speak your mind.

protoplasm
08-14-2007, 02:38 PM
did you check the tranny oil?

rkan121
08-14-2007, 03:31 PM
um YES... im trying to get oil pressure and running out of options.

bigfootinnb
08-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Also check to see if the camshaft is broken.

rkan121
08-24-2007, 10:54 AM
well for the record my cam shaft was in fact broken, its was the hex shaft that operates the oil pump. Well thats the bad news the good news is that in stead of replacing the cam i just put a new motor in with less mileage and the car has been running great. thx for the help guys

Add your comment to this topic!