roaring/humming noise is driving me crazy?

klsgirl
08-13-2007, 07:12 PM
I have a 2001 Lincoln LS V8 Automatic w/ 63K. I love the car, but a month ago a noise started. I was driving down the highway and there it was. At first I thought it was the Honda's exhaust in front of me. Since I find the rice burner sound anoying I left him in the dust. Much to my dismay I soon realized it was my car! I thought the humming/roaring was coming from my left rear wheel hub? I took it to a shop for them to tell me that my rear rotors were warped and the the wheel bearings were fine. So I had the rotors replaced. And the sound was still there. Later they tried to tell me everything from my struts, tires, transmission, brakes? I took it somewhere else, they were sure it was the tires. Today I finally had some new Pirelli's mounted. They car rides much better but the sound is still there. The sound starts at around 35mph, the faster you go the louder it becomes, but it is a very consistant sound. It is driving me crazy not knowing what it is. I have not noticed any performance changes. Any suggestions besides replacing everything????

shorod
08-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Welcome to the forum!

One thing you might wish to try is to carefully shift the car in to neutral while at speed and see if the noise changes or goes away.

-Rod

klsgirl
08-15-2007, 09:00 PM
I did as suggested. At about 45 mph I put car in N and just let the car roll about a block. There was no change in the sound and it did not go away.

shorod
08-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Well, seems like it probably is not a transmission issue then, unless it's a bearing in the tailshaft of the tranny. I'm far from a transmission expert though, so that's just a guess. Rather, I'd suspect more in the line of bearings since you'd ruled out tires already.

You may want to find a place with a Chassis Ear setup where they can mount multiple microphones on choice areas of the car and zoom in on the origin of the noise.

-Rod

craigsm78
08-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Does the noise still from the left rear wheel? Does it happen all the time, or only when moving? Does it start at a certain MPH then stop? Does it get louder or quieter the faster you go?

shorod
08-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Does the noise still from the left rear wheel? Does it happen all the time, or only when moving? Does it start at a certain MPH then stop? Does it get louder or quieter the faster you go?

As mentioned in the original post, "The sound starts at around 35mph, the faster you go the louder it becomes, but it is a very consistant sound."

Drag214
08-22-2007, 09:49 AM
The noise that you described is almost always a bearing problem. The hard part is finding out which one is bad. I would start looking for leaks on the rear axel. Check the hubs. Then look at the differental input and output seals. (You have a seal where the drive line goes from the trans to the diff. That's your input. Then you have seals where the half shafts go from you diff to your hubs. Those are your outputs.) When there is low fluid in a component, bearnings are the first to go. So find your leak, drain the fluid and check for metal shavings. That would be a bad thing. (Metal shavings mean gears are grinding.) If you car still runs smooth, then your gears are still good. If your car's gears are bad, the car won't move. Never the less. You will need to replace that bearing and race. (The race is a metal ring that is insereted into the an opening in the housing of a component. It provides a smooth serface for the bearing to rid on.) The race should be replaced when ever a bearing is replaced.The gears in the diferential are carfully gauged. You need proper tools and and a bit of experance before you try to tackel this job.

lumberjak1984
04-28-2008, 09:40 PM
I have a 2001 Lincoln LS V8 Automatic w/ 63K. I love the car, but a month ago a noise started. I was driving down the highway and there it was. At first I thought it was the Honda's exhaust in front of me. Since I find the rice burner sound anoying I left him in the dust. Much to my dismay I soon realized it was my car! I thought the humming/roaring was coming from my left rear wheel hub? I took it to a shop for them to tell me that my rear rotors were warped and the the wheel bearings were fine. So I had the rotors replaced. And the sound was still there. Later they tried to tell me everything from my struts, tires, transmission, brakes? I took it somewhere else, they were sure it was the tires. Today I finally had some new Pirelli's mounted. They car rides much better but the sound is still there. The sound starts at around 35mph, the faster you go the louder it becomes, but it is a very consistant sound. It is driving me crazy not knowing what it is. I have not noticed any performance changes. Any suggestions besides replacing everything???? like the person on the bottom of the page said it could be a bearing problem, maybe jack the car on all 4's safely and carefully of course. put it in drive up to your acclaimed 35 mph and listen where the noise is coming from... narrow it down from there. idk, maybe this helps. little ghetto, but im the king of ghetto, good luck with fixing your problem.... maybe it's the differential???

Breech
05-05-2008, 07:29 AM
All,

I have a 2000 LS V8 and my mechanic said it is the bearings in the rear-axle (I believe this has already been pointed out - and this is to the best of my memory). He also said this is an issue that is common in Ford products....

Anyway, he will be replacing the bearings here soon.... He also told me that if it gets louder, hurry in to see him.

PS My LS has 100k miles on it.

IgotGAME
05-06-2008, 10:17 AM
I am hearing the same exact thing on my 2002 Lincoln.

Except to me it sounds like it is coming from the right front (it just sounds like it's coming from there...it could be coming from somewhere else). It's quiet when sitting still but when I start to drive it makes a "woom...wooom....wooom" sound that gets faster and faster as I speed up. Then when I slow down, it seems to get louder as the car gets close to stopping. It sounds like "woom.....wooom....woom......woom..WOOM..WOOM" and then the car stops. It really sounds like it's coming from the right front, but they replaced the wheel bearing and I have new rotors on the front so I have no clue what it is. Could the brakes cause any noise like this? Could it be rear axle bearings and I am just thinking the sound is coming from the front?

I need to replace my rear rotors, but other then that I don't know what that noise is. My tires are in good condition so it's not the tires. They were also just rotated recently and the sound remained coming from the same spot.

What else can cause this noise? It's almost like you can hear the tire rotating.

shorod
05-06-2008, 01:47 PM
IgotGAME, from your description, it sounds like your noise is probably a bad tire, probably a separated belt.

-Rod

IgotGAME
05-08-2008, 04:39 PM
IgotGAME, from your description, it sounds like your noise is probably a bad tire, probably a separated belt.

-Rod

Yea I was told yesterday the tires are cupping. They said it's probably because of a bad alignment. I have lifetime alignment through Firestone and they have aligned it like 5 times since I've had the tires. If that's the case, that pisses me off because they are the only people to ever align the tires.

All I can do now is make sure they are properly aligned and hope they wear back out evenly if possible. Because there is still PLENTY of tread left on these tires and I hate to have to get a new set now.

Add your comment to this topic!