Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Bravada ? about brakes

sheadogsavannah
08-13-2007, 12:55 PM
On Wednesday of last week I had the brakes pads replaced, brake system flush and the rotors turned. After the service the passenger side rear tire area - brake???? started smoking and I could smell a burnt odor. I called the place that did the brake job and they said not to worry it was the cleaner that they used and the smoke and smell should go away in a couple of days. On Saturday (3 days later), the smell and smoke was mostly gone. However, this morning when I drove the truck (5 days after brakes were done) I noticed that the same tire/brake that was smoking is now making a high pitched noise when you push on the brakes to stop. I took it back to the place that did the work and they said it was the calipers; they should have been replaced when the brake job was done. Now keep in mind that on Wednesday (5 days ago) the calipers were inspected and the mechanic said they were fine and did not need to be replaced. I was told that this is a common problem with this vehicle - after replacing brakes the calipers will go bad. Has anyone else run across this problem. I'm not sure if they are taking me for a ride or if they are legitimate. To make matters even worse, they want to charge me full labor price to replace the calipers that they stated should have been replaced when the brake job was done. I would greatly appreciate any opinions that you have to share

ericn1300
08-13-2007, 05:12 PM
they should do the work for the cost of the parts only. if the caliper was stuck and smoking you will also need to have the rotor turned and inspected for cracking from the high heat. its only about 20 mins labor to replace them with the equipment they have.

sheadogsavannah
08-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks ericn1300. I took it back and they gave me free calipers and charged me half the labor, so my total cost was $42.50. Their mistake, my gain. At least now I know that my business is important to them.

ericn1300
08-16-2007, 09:15 PM
Sound like they did you right. Glad it turned out ok. The best way to reward them is thru word of mouth, tell a friend.

Add your comment to this topic!