Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Whirring noise from Drivers side dash

jamyers
08-13-2007, 12:54 PM
Just got a 2005 Lacrosse w/ 35K miles. 3800 engine, loaded with options, and we like it a lot so far.

There's a faint whirring noise coming from the drivers side lower dash (in front of drivers right knee) whenever the ignition is on, engine running or not. It sounds a lot like one of those old toy electric motors or maybe a small computer cooling fan, and I'd swear it's coming from behind the little air inlet for the climate control. Doesn't matter if the hvac is on or off.

I took it to a dealer, and the service writer said it's "normal", but didn't say exactly what it is - which makes me wonder all the more. (And it may be "normal", but then again we all know people who are normal - but we don't like them.)

It's not a huge deal, but it's the kind of thing that one you notice it, you hear it all the time and wish you didn't.

Any ideas?

Blue Bowtie
08-19-2007, 08:04 PM
It sounds a lot like one of those old toy electric motors or maybe a small computer cooling fan, and I'd swear it's coming from behind the little air inlet for the climate control. Doesn't matter if the hvac is on or off.

You're exactly right, but you don't need to swear about it.

The passenger compartment air temperature sensor is located in that perforated area of the dash. There is a small pancake fan mounted there to constantly push a sample of interior air across the sensor to provide the most accurate reading. I can't say that I've ever heard one make a lot of noise, however, so there might be something in that area contacting the fan blade or some other fault with the fan.

jamyers
08-22-2007, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the confirmation.

Think I'll go to another dealer and see what they say.

n2racing
04-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Had same problem on 2006 LaCrosse. Replaced unit noise gone.

Add your comment to this topic!