Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

86 s10 tbi trouble I'm stumped please help

johnlarkin82
08-13-2007, 06:01 AM
:banghead: Hello all, I've been using this forum as a method to solve a lot of problems I've had just by reading, but this is my first time posting. I have an 86 2.8 tbi automatic and have replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and map sensor so far. The truck will crank sometimes and sometimes it won't. When I can get it to stay running, it might make it a few miles then stumbles and most of the time dies. Now, I have found a temporary solution to my problem when sitting on the side of the road is simply unplugging one of the fuel injectors, cranking the truck(starts everytime like this), and then just screwing around plugging it back in, unplugging the other one and so on until I get it to hold an ok idle where it doesn't drown with too much gas. Then proceed to race home before it dies again. I'm going to the junkyard to grab some more injectors soon, but is there anything else I might check. Oh yeah and it is in time, and it does pop flames out the exhaust too and smoke black(fuel....very very very rich). I've searched on here for about a week now looking at probably 100 pages of posts, and seen that it looks like a lot of people are experiencing the same thing I am. I know someone out there knows what is going on..... Please help me and about a million other people out if you have any ideas. I don't wanna have to sell my truck.

MT-2500
08-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Check for lose of spark or fuel pressure or injector pulse when it quits.
Post back what it is losing.
Any codes or check engine lights?
MT

johnlarkin82
08-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Ok, I went to the junkyard today and got some more injectors, and so far so good. I think one of my fuel injectors was wide open when it wasn't supposed to be. But so far today, I've probably drove like 20 miles or so, cranked it up probably 5 times and so far, no black smoke, no backfiring, and holding a good steady normal idle. I will keep everyone posted if something else happens though. Thanks to everyone on this site for good advice and helpful troubleshooting ideas. ......... oh and as far as CEL is concerned, the bulb is out......along with about six or seven others in my cluster.......my truck has like 225,000 miles so I'm not surprised

Add your comment to this topic!