Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

77 MGB steering lock

MGvol
08-12-2007, 05:53 PM
I need to replace the original steering lock and ignition switch. The original lock doesn't appear to have any screws on it. Instead it looks like it has to rivets, one on either side of the steering column, that hold it on. Do I have to drill out these rivets or is there another way to get the steering lock off?

Thanks.

Flash75
08-13-2007, 05:32 AM
They are not rivets, they are break away screws, they are tightened until the head breaks off. Use a Dermal tool with a cutting disc to slot the screw and they can be removed with a big screwdriver or an impact driver.

Clifton

MGvol
08-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Clifton,

Thank you for the quick reply. That's the best news I've had in a while. I was not looking forward to drilling out those rivets.

Thanks again,
John

Bluetick
01-10-2008, 11:16 PM
I need to replace the original steering lock and ignition switch. The original lock doesn't appear to have any screws on it. Instead it looks like it has to rivets, one on either side of the steering column, that hold it on. Do I have to drill out these rivets or is there another way to get the steering lock off?

Thanks.

I had a '74 B and thieves broe into it & ruined the switch trying to jimmy it. The switch is secured by bolts that have torque removeable heads. The hex heads wring off when you tighten them down thereby creating a secure / locked steering column. I changed it myself by taking a small cold chizel and unscrewed the headless bolts little-by-little. It took about 1/2 day to do this as it is tedious work. You have to create an indentation in the bolts that will hold up under tapping of the chizel with a hammer. You may be able to use a flat head screwdriver to tap & back the bolts out once you have made the dents with the chizel. Good luck. It ain't easy but with patience you can get 'er done!

Bluetick
01-11-2008, 09:18 AM
[quote=Flash75]They are not rivets, they are break away screws, they are tightened until the head breaks off. Use a Dermal tool with a cutting disc to slot the screw and they can be removed with a big screwdriver or an impact driver.

Clifton[/quote

I like the idea of the Dremal tool. I don't think they existed when I had my problem. Either way - beats drilling which can be risky. ]

Add your comment to this topic!