Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 dynasty tranny leak

daddy0_4
08-12-2007, 12:33 PM
hello everyone. my son is looking to buy a 91 dynasty,3.3L,don't knom what tranny. the tranny seems to be leaking from the front of it,torque conv. seal?frt pump seal? anyway i'm figuring that the tranny is going to need to be pulled to fix the leak. can anyone give me any pointers and how difficult it will be to do. i've replaced clutches,tranny's on rear whl drives and have replaced both axles on my wifes voyager,so any help would be appreciated. thanks everyone.

denisond3
08-14-2007, 08:45 AM
Based on the work you listed, I doubt it will present any new problems. I havent done a Dyansty, but have done other mopar front wheel drive transaxles; Caravan, Omni, Neon. I find a digital camera to be a valuable aid. I take pictures of all the goodies under the hood as I begin to dismantle. Its nice to have a photo record on the computer of exactly where each harness and hose ran originally. I also keep a log of what i take apart and in what order. This is sometimes different from the steps listed in the manuals. (In my limited experience I have yet to see a transmission that was leaking from a front seal and didnt have lots of miles on it. So I have rebuilt the trannies in each case). Each time I had either a service manual that included the tranny rebuilding instructions, or an aftermarket manual for the specific tranny: Or I wouldnt have started the job. So far I havent needed any of the special jigs - because I didnt change shims on any of the preloaded parts of the transxle. And so far all of the trannies have gone back together okay and worked fine. A big help was finding the local source for tranny parts. I had bought the Master Repair Kit, but also wanted to replace a 'band' that wasnt in the kit, and I lost one small spring - so was glad to be able to buy just that part from the "local transmission rebuilding supply store".
Sometimes the hardest step is getting the axle shafts out of the transaxle. I have had success either with the type of crowbar used in homebuilding, or a truck tire iron called a wheel spoon. It is almost 3 ft long, has a widened flattened end, and is tough steel. I have Not had luck with using a passenger car tire iron as the pry-tool.

daddy0_4
08-25-2007, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the reply denisond3 and sorry took so long.My son decided to not buy the car.

Add your comment to this topic!