Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 Dodge Intrepid ES

akfisher
08-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Check Engine light came on. Hooked up code reader and found two codes - Misc. Cylinder Misfire and Cylinder 5 misfire. I've replaced Plugs, wires, and coil pack. Still getting the error codes. Any suggestions?

2001jettavr6
08-12-2007, 12:20 AM
im having the same problem with my jetta, multiple misfires but mine is the coilpack/ignition coil. take out one or two of your spark plugs and see if they are a rust color or tannish color already, that is excess carbon build up which means your engine isnt breathing right, aka your catalytic converter could be clogged since it is 11 years old. first off check the flow of air coming from your exhaust with your hand if it feels relatively weak it might be it, also check by banging on your cat converter and see if its rattling. If not it couldnt hurt to change it magnaflow cats are only about 90 to 100 bucks and easy to cut out old one and install.

wafrederick
08-12-2007, 03:19 PM
What size engine is in it,3.3 or 3.5?The 3.5 has problems with the intake gaskets blowing out and will cause a missfire.Just spray brake or carb cleaner near the intake gasket area if it is the 3.5 and if it changes,the intake gaskets are bad.

akfisher
08-15-2007, 09:10 AM
It's a 3.5. I'll check out the intake gaskets. Thanks.

AWP9521
08-15-2007, 09:41 PM
Agreed on the Intake Gaskets leaking on a 3.5 engine, seen it many times, it normally feels like a miss at idle especially when under the load of the transmission in gear then the engine will smooth out at off idle and higher engine speeds.

brody1
06-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Trouble codes for all Intrepids 1993-2004
GA_googleFillSlot("Forums_ROS_300x250_noad"); Hello everyone,

I've created this thread to help out those who have a Dodge Intrepid or any Daimler-Chrysler vehicle that was built from 1996-present. If you have a check engine light and need to know what the code is, visit this website to give you the answer(s) to your code issues. The website is:
http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troub...l_obd_main.htm (http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/l/bl_obd_main.htm).

If you have a 1993-1995 Intrepid and you have a check engine light, you can find out what the codes are by following this process:
1. Turn the ignition key on/off 3xs ending in the ON position
2. Watch the "CHECK ENGINE" light and see if it flashes.
3. If it flashes twice then pauses and flashes again another 4xs, that's a code 24, for example. You have put the computer in diagnostic mode and it will now display any codes that have been stored in memory. Here is a list of all codes that can be displayed and what they mean:

12- Problem with stand-by memory circuit. Direct battery input to controller disconnected within the last 50 ignition key-ons.
13- Indicates a problem with the MAP sensor pneumatic system.
14- MAP sensor voltage too low or too high.
15- A problem with the vehicle speed sensor signal. No speed sensor signal detected during driving conditions.
16- Loss of battery voltage
17- Engine coolant temperature indicating engine temperature cold too long.
21- Oxygen sensor voltage not fluctuating.
22- Coolant sensor voltage too high or too low.
23- Throttle body temp sensor below acceptable parameters.
24- Throttle position sensor voltage too high or too low.
25- Automatic Idle Speed motor detects a shorted condition in one or more circuits
26- Peak Injector current has not been reached.
27- One of the injector control circuit output drivers does not respond properly to the control signal.
31- Problem with the canister purge solenoid circuit
32- An open or shorted condition detected in the EGR transducer circuit.
33- Air conditioning clutch relay circuit open or shorted.
34- Open or shorted condition found in the speed control vacuum or vent solenoid circuit.
35- Radiator fan relay circuit open or shorted.
36- Problem with the air switching solenoid circuit.
37- Open or shorted condition detected in the torque converter unlock solenoid circuit.
41- Problem with charging system. Voltage below 11.75.
42- ASD (Automatic ShutDown) relay control open or shorted.
43- Engine misfire in one or more cylinders.
44- Ambient/Battery Temperature too high or too low.
45- Transmission temp sensor not indicating warm condition.
46- Charging system voltage too high.
47- Charging system voltage too low.
51- Oxygen sensor signal indicates a lean condition.
52- Oxygen sensor signal indicates a rich condition.
53- Internal PCM failure.
54- No cam signal to PCM.
55- End of code message.
62- Unsuccessful attempt to update EMR mileage in the controller EEPROM.
63- PCM failure. EEPROM write denied.

These are all the codes for most 1993-1995 and a few 96 and 97 Intrepids. If you need any others if I missed them, please let me know.

Add your comment to this topic!