Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'92 Blazer dies after 2 seconds

08-11-2007, 02:10 AM
Hello folks. Nice forum yall have here. Huge too.
Anyway, I just purchased a 1992 Chevrolet Blazer 2wd V6. It ran great for the first day I had it. Then I wake up early for my job interview and it dies 2 blocks down the road. I push it the the gas station and pump in all my $20 I have thinking its out of gas. It won't start. Then I put in a new battery. Won't start. Then I tinker around with the thing and see that it needs spark.

So I take off the distributor cap and scrape the 1/16" of corrosion off the little metal bits on the inside and take out the ignition module and scrape some crust off it. After reassembly it fires up and sounds great. I drive it for a good 35 miles starting it twice more without a hitch. Then I drove through some water and it choked it out right quick. Won't start. Borrowed money, bought and installed ignition module and it started up and took me another 15 miles to Wal-Mart and it won't start there. :screwy: So I have my wife crank it a while I'm wigglin the distributor cap and wires and coil ect. It starts up but then dies directly after. I check the wires to the distributor cap, the 6 around the outside are fine and the one in the middle going to the coil is extremely corroded and just pops off with the post still in it. I borrow money and buy a new distributor cap and wire. It starts up but it is kind of choking and weak at small or large rpm #'s. Then we make it a couple blocks and it dies again. It won't keep light. I push us home about a mile or so.

The next day I borrow money and buy an air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and replace them all properly. Won't start. So I buy a voltometer or whatever it is, learn how to use it, and I see I have about 11.3v into the coil but none out I THINK (my little probes might not have fit enough inside the holes in the coil). Bought a new coil, it started up real quick and purred. Then it ran for a couple minutes and choked out slowly while I am giving it gas. So it might start up for a second but is having an unknown problem with the fire. :banghead:

I have spent my last :2cents: on this thing and it wants more but I have none.

I have not replaced or checked the
fuel pressure (don't know where the valve thing is to poke it)
o2 sensors (don't know how see if they are good or where they are at)
crank sensor (what ever this is, people seem to say it caused them problems)
air flow sensors (inside the air filter place, with the wires and all?)
thingar that spins inside the distributor cap to zap the points>wires>plugs
temp sensor (one in the engine and one in the cab?)
if it is grounded everywhere it needs to be

and lastly it seems to me that maybe the wires to the coil or from the coil to the ignition module may be wallered to bits inside
it would explain the randomness of it starting and running good and not starting and runniong properly or at all

I started it an hour ago and ran great for 3 seconds, then died. On my way behind it, I smelled unburned fuel strongly.

Before when it wouldn't start at all, I hooked up a new battery and it started up quickly and died a few seconds later. This makes me think maybe the computer has something to do with it?

I have searched everywhere for a long time and these seem to be what people say can cause this malfunction. If anyone has anything to say on this topic it would be greatly appreciated. Any comments welcome. As you can tell, I am not a certified mechanic. I had never heard of most of these pieces until 2 or 3 days ago so bear with me please. And I do apologize for my overly in depth and long winded post :rolleyes:.

MT-2500
08-11-2007, 09:17 AM
Welcome to AF
You need some proper testing instead of throwing parts at it.
First thing when it quits and will not start check for good hot blue spark to more than one spark plug.
Post back if it is losing or does not have spark.
If it has good spark check for good proper fuel pressure up to specs.
If no gauge parts places rent or loan or sell fuel pressure gauges.
MT

Chris Stewart
08-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Here's where you check the fuel pressure on a Central Point Injection system(CPI on motors w/L35 option if you recognize it).

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p288/Clunk_/Image033.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!