Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Is it the Alternator

mbazid
08-10-2007, 07:34 PM
The battery light came on when my wife was driving than the other lights came on and the windows stopped working. When I went to take a look the van needed to be jump started and the battery light came on followed by the other lights on the dash. any clues?

rodeo02
08-10-2007, 08:46 PM
How old is the battery? That would be my first suspect. It could be any part of the charging system; Battery, battery cable, alternator, etc..

Joel

orkel
08-11-2007, 06:35 AM
Hi mbazid

This seems to be a pretty common problem with the Windstar, see my tread at http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=734702

I had the exact same problem, and it ended up being the alternator.
Obviously though, if you have a voltmeter, please do a couple simple tests as others in this forum have suggested. Just do a search for 'alternator and battery', that way I don't have to repeat the excellant advise already given by others

busboy4
08-11-2007, 08:41 AM
The battery light came on when my wife was driving than the other lights came on and the windows stopped working. When I went to take a look the van needed to be jump started and the battery light came on followed by the other lights on the dash. any clues?

I'm sure you probably know, but if you still suspect the alternator, take it into an autozone or similar store. They can put it on a test rig and check it before you go to the expense of replacing it.

Good luck

wiswind
08-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Make sure that the battery is in good shape also.
A weak battery can place a significant load on the alternator, and you don't want to burn out the new alternator.
My '96 also has a alternator fuse in the engine compartment fuse / relay box.....aka power distribution box.
It is fuse "T"
Check your documentation for other years.

I would recommend a "electrical check" at your local auto part store....they will do this for free, on the vehicle.

I have a AutoZone Duralast "Gold" battery that was reasonable in price....and has a good Cold Cranking Amps rating.

Add your comment to this topic!