Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Revell BMW 635CSi

924_CarreraGTS
08-10-2007, 04:52 PM
One of the models on my to-buy list is the Revell AG (Germany) BMW 635CSi, since I find this car particularly attractive. I was wondering, is this one of the older kits with poor fit? Is it a rebox of another brand (I have seen a 635CSi by brand Academy)? In general, what's the scoop on this model?

Thanks.

Alex

ZoomZoomMX-5
08-10-2007, 05:00 PM
It's the old Monogram kit, not bad, it's full detail but it's certainly not as detailed as the Fujimi EM-the Monogram kit came out around '80 or '81. I built one when it was new and enjoyed it, it was my first airbrush job too. I've got one now as a parts donor for a resin 3.0 CS.

If it's cheap enough, it's a good kit. If the price is closer to the Fujimi or Tamiya versions, get that instead. I have a Tamiya 635 and that's the one I'm going to build-parts quality is superior to Fujimi, and it's a much simpler kit without being too simple. The Fujimi kit has about 8,972 parts, or something like that, and 8,971 of them need serious sanding of mold lines and filling of sink marks :lol:

924_CarreraGTS
08-10-2007, 05:20 PM
At the stores from which I shop, the Fujimi kit is exactly twice as much money as the Revell kit. And I know the Enthusiast stuff--superdetailed and not-so-great fit. This is off-topic from the thread, but was the Enths. Porsche 911 Flatnose turbo a "fluke"? Because when I built it, I was very, very impressed with the fit and finish. Some of the turbo ducting didn't fit too well, and my skills at the time of building weren't high enough for me to think of fixing those problems, but as an amateur I was able to assemble the whole kit in a relatively short amount of time and can say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Is it somehow better than some of the other Enthu kits?

Thanks for the help with the Bimmer. I'm gonna get it ASAP (meaning Christmas, perhaps)

Alex

Add your comment to this topic!