Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Malibu horn blows by itself

KB1229
08-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Hi! I'm new to the forums and almost illiterate about cars, so please have patience if my questions are dumb. I have a 2001 Malibu. The horn has recently started blowing by itself. So far it's only a short toot and it normally happens right after I start the car or place it in park. Also, the horn has started blowing when I press the button to lock my car (before the lights blinked). Is there a schematic I can get that shows me which fuse controls the horn? I need to know how to stop it if the horn starts blowing and won't stop. Any advice on how to correct this problem?

PTG1212
08-10-2007, 07:30 PM
I have a 2001 Malibu. When you push the door lock twice it immediately locks the car doors. When you push the lock once, it goes on delay to allow you to open back door or whatever. When you close all doors after about 5 sec or so the horn gives a short toot and the headlights will flash, indicating that the doors have locked. That's normal operation.

As far as tooting right after starting the car or putting it in park, you've got me on that one. That doesn't sound normal.

ilovemytracker
08-11-2007, 12:56 PM
My father has a 91 chevy blazer that started doing the same thing and got to the point to where it would go constantly (kind of akward when it is one in the morning.) We found it was actually a short in the wiring where it had been cut. We simply pulled the fuse until we could make the repair. However, on an 01 Malibu, that may be risky because, if I remember right, it controls other things as well. I know my 03 Malibu has other systems running through that fuse.

KB1229
08-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Is it possible that the control for the airbag goes through that circuit since they are located in the same area? Should I be concerned about the airbag going off by itself?

Txngent
08-13-2007, 08:59 AM
I have a 2000 that I just purchased for my lot. It is doing the same thing... just a little "beep" while in park or idle, but not while driving. I am working on looking into this situation as well. Being that it only happens when idle and not driving, I don't think it is a air bag concern... rather a electrical issue with maybe the keyless entry. I bought this car with no keyless pad, so I am starting by looking into programming one I have here at the shop.

If you have keyless entry, you might want to try locking the car and then unlocking the car with the keyless then start the car. I know by experience that GM keyless entries sometimes will make your vehicle do some wierd stuff if you don't use them correctly.

My two cents.

I will post if I find the problem before someone else answers.

Johnny R
08-13-2007, 10:28 AM
My 99 Malibu horn does not toot at all, even when I want it to. So, on average, we should be OK if we could just sdrive side by side all the time. :wink:
PS: I have an appointment at the shop tomorrow to fix it, along with
- my first tune-up at 150,000 km (90,000 miles).
- ABS speed sensor on RF wheel
- front brake rotors; last replacement was 80,000 kms (50,000 miles) ago.

Add your comment to this topic!