Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'95 Civic dies when engine is just warm?

bd1886
08-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Good Morning,
First time here and am having a bit of a problem tracking down the reason for having no spark from the coil when the engine is just getting warm. Car dies and when the engine heat dissipates runs like a champ until it reaches that same temp?

Have been fortunate to have a few known working parts and have swapped out...distributor module,cap,rotor,and coil to no avail. Same exact behavior!

Gentlemen... I am @ wits end! Would the main computer be a potential source or some relay. Don't know the full string of components from ignition to plugs where this glitch could be occuring. Added to that is the fact that the check engine light only comes on at the normal times of starting and the car dying.(So I question if the diagnostics are even online to diagnose the issue.)

Car Facts: Baseline DX w/ automatic, 101,000 well maintained miles (with no apparent leaks or bad connections). Car run's very well at freeway speeds.

Hate to use these but...:banghead: Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Christ
08-08-2007, 01:11 PM
check the ECU temps RIGHT after it's shut off... check all your main fuses under the hood, check compression by cranking the engine right after it shuts off, check fuel pressure, all filters... umm... I'm pretty sure that's all for now

If your ECU overheats, it may stop sending/receiving signals properly

bd1886
08-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Dz, checked all that. Everything checked out fine? The ECU was actually ambient temp. Are there any inline fuses in a system like this? If so I only cheched the fuse box. I'm going to look around and see if I can find a picture and schematic. (Afraid I'm pretty ignorant on the engine components in these and want to make sure I'm able to communicate and at least know what I'm looking at for sure.).

Edit: Just found out about the Carchip diagnostic tool @ Sears and AutoZone? Any of you guys had experience with those?

Christ
08-08-2007, 11:58 PM
fuse locations you should be checking are under the dash, driver's side, under the hood, I believe pass side, could be drivers side... plastic lil box. Not sure if your model has a main relay under the fuse panel, I'm more of a 4th gen guy..
if it does, you should search on how to check/replace it

Christ
08-09-2007, 12:08 AM
I'd be looking more toward vacuum leakage, or cylinder compression, or fuel/ignition system... those are pretty much the only things I know that cause your problem

sounds mostly like vacuum leakage atm

bd1886
08-12-2007, 01:28 AM
Solution! Two things were going on at the same time. The main problem was the fuel filter being totaly shot. At the same time was a failing coil wire.

Car is running well and that one is behind us. Thanks and will be contributing as I can. (Not a mechanic by any means, but do have some other skills that may be of value to the site once in a while.)

DrOp...Thanks, your help was greatly appreciated !

Christ
08-12-2007, 03:04 AM
glad to be of service, not a problem, and good luck in the future, welcome to AF

Add your comment to this topic!