Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 buick lesabre wont start

FGR1985
08-08-2007, 02:39 AM
So i left my hazard lights on in my car and when I came back it wouldnt start. So Im assuming its just the battery thats dead. At first it clicked slowly, after a while it would click faster. So I had my friend bring his civic over to try and jump start it. After an obsenely long time there was no success, but it gradually got closer and closer to starting. It doesnt click any more, it starts to turn over but doesnt. Some random guy swore it was the starter. Any thoughts? Dont be too technical, please, I really don't know a lot about cars.

Smith1000
08-08-2007, 06:28 AM
You probably have a dead/drained battery. You might need to make sure the terminals are good and clean. Also, there needs to be good contact between the batterys through the jumper cables. The ground is as important as the positive. It is best to use a good set of cables.

If it were me, I would probably just pull the battery and put it on a charger for several hours and then see if it starts. Or, you could pull the battery out and run it to a battery shop to test it. Since the hazards were left on though, it probably just drained it. It might be time for a new battery.

TGMCallie
11-02-2007, 11:10 PM
You probably have a dead/drained battery. You might need to make sure the terminals are good and clean. Also, there needs to be good contact between the batterys through the jumper cables. The ground is as important as the positive. It is best to use a good set of cables.

If it were me, I would probably just pull the battery and put it on a charger for several hours and then see if it starts. Or, you could pull the battery out and run it to a battery shop to test it. Since the hazards were left on though, it probably just drained it. It might be time for a new battery.

Probably your problem with trying to jump a Buick with a Honda Civic is that the battery in the Civic surely does not output enough cold cranking amps to start the Buick. Try jumping it with a bigger auto.

Add your comment to this topic!