Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Clunking Noise?

Soukies
08-07-2007, 11:33 PM
We recently purchased a 2001 Eurovan with 80,000 miles from a Used European Auto dealer in our area. Shortly after we purchased it we found out the transmission needed to be replaced - no warranty. Fortunately the dealer was helpful and wanted our business so he agreed to split the cost of the repair with us. Originally he was going to look for a new van but couldn't find one.

Now, we have been hearing a "clunking" noise upon turning. We hear it mostly turning to the left but also sometimes to the right. I've replaced cv joints in two other cars and it doesn't sound like the clicking of a cv joint. One time, while parking, the steering wheel locked up and wouldn't turn left but when I waited for a moment it would turn.

Tonight I decided to take it to a parking lot to try and duplicate the noise. I drove in circles to the left - no noise. Then circles to the right - no noise. Then decided to do a figure 8 - tried turning it back to the left and it didn't seem like it wanted to turn. I pulled a little harder and....clunk. Then it loosened and would turn.

Any ideas on what it could be? After replacing the transmission should we just figure our losses and sell the whole thing? We're worried we'll have nothing but trouble with it.

Thanks for any help you might have.

Add your comment to this topic!