Airbag Cover Removal

TommyWT
08-07-2007, 03:52 PM
I have a 2002 Alero. The upholstry that covers the passenger side airbag has come off due to sun exposure. I want to re-cover it but I don't know how to get it off. Any ideas???

figgepop
09-03-2007, 12:05 PM
No real reply but I'm in the same boat. I'll post if I come up with anything.

maxwedge
09-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Welcome to AF. Look at holes in the side of the upper column shroud, there should be spring release clips recessed down in there, there is a special tool but but a long skinny blunted screwdriver should work, BTW the cover is part of the air bag! Double check my post the last one I did was a while back, look closely at this before attempting, also check into the precautions first.

xeroinfinity
09-03-2007, 06:22 PM
If you are asking how to remove the air bag you go through the glove box, remove that.
Then up, in the back are two screws holding it in.
Remove those, push it up through the dash.

AND as Max mentioned disarm the airbags!!!

I'd disconnect the battery and pull the fuse first.
Then unplug the pass side air bag via the fuse box(white connector).

Then you'll probly need some spray adhesive to reattach the new matterial to the cover.

GM realy did scimp out on the glues/adhesives in thier N body cars,
both mine GA's have some door peal goin on..... :disappoin

dugan50
09-05-2007, 06:16 PM
xeroinfinity (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=359630) is right. The passenger side airbag removal is accomplished through the glove box and is very simple. The problem you are facing is that the cover is part of the airbag assembly itself and is molded, glued and shaped from the factory. Messing with them, voids their warranty (if any) and puts their operation at risk should you ever need it.
Disaable the system whenever you decide to work on or near it but I dont think you will be able to "unwarp" the damage done from years of sun and age
Good Luck

maxwedge
09-05-2007, 07:30 PM
My error, I misread the pass air bag and gave instructions for the drivers side, thanks for the help xeroinfinity

handieeeeee
09-06-2007, 02:37 PM
I have the same problem on my 2000. If you can't put a new one on then what can you do?

xeroinfinity
09-06-2007, 05:27 PM
handieeeeee, which one the pass side ?

And one thing that didnt dawn on me is that if you cover the pass air bag it might not deploy when in a collision.

I have seen them recovered in black before,
though... they might have just used dye to color it... :dunno:

I cant even remember where the split occurs on the pass air bag when it is deployed...

handieeeeee
09-07-2007, 08:12 AM
I thought about taping it off and just using a little spray paint on it :grinyes:

xeroinfinity
09-07-2007, 09:46 AM
They sell a liquid dye in different colors at parts stores.
Works much better on the dash then painting, paint just doesnt want to stick.

Add your comment to this topic!