Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to test a sending unit

aikiwaza
08-07-2007, 01:58 PM
2000 chevy s-10 pickup... 4.3 vortec engine

I am having a problem with my sending unit... the fuel gauge doesn't read correctly. Most of the time it shows the fuel level as high, though it varies. What I need to find out is if the unit is bad (a bummer because it comes only as a part of the fuel pump assembly which means I drop the tank) or whether it might be a problem with a connector. If anyone has some helpful hints or ideas please let me know because I can't afford to pay the 400+ dollars for a fuel pump, but also want the problem fixed.

67chevypickup
08-13-2007, 10:55 PM
we have a 1986 that had the same problem it was just the wire connections and i dont know how much work you feel like doing but you have two options to fix it either drop the tank or as me and my stepfather did it just cut open a hole in the bed (but ours is a beater and a half

blazes9395
08-13-2007, 11:53 PM
The fuel level sending unit can be changed without changing the whole piece. I know up here at the dealership they want $225 and change, but you can get them on ebay for considerably cheaper. You still have to pull the tank, take out the whole fuel pump module, but the sending unit can then be changed out and your back in business.

mike2004tct
08-14-2007, 06:14 AM
The fuel level sending unit can be changed without changing the whole piece. I know up here at the dealership they want $225 and change, but you can get them on ebay for considerably cheaper. You still have to pull the tank, take out the whole fuel pump module, but the sending unit can then be changed out and your back in business.

I agree.

I got a Level Sensor unit from GMPartsdirect.com for ~$75.00 a few years ago.
But as said above, you still need to drop the tank to replace it.

Go to GMPartsdirect.com, and send them an email, along with your trucks VIN, and ask what the part number is for the fuel level sensor.

They'll reply with the correct p/n and their price.
You can then shop around for a better price, but you probably won't find it cheaper than them.

As far as connectors are concerned, there's two of them on the top of the tank where the pump is inserted. You may be able to access/inspect them by going thru the left wheel well, but you'll need a long skinny arm.
Other option is to drop the tank.

Good luck.

need_a_new_truck
08-15-2007, 04:34 PM
My sending unit is bad too. I have been just setting the trip meter to zero every time I fill up and then put on about 300 miles before filling up again. It's the cheapest fix of all.:grinyes:

old_master
08-15-2007, 07:26 PM
You can also remove the box on the Sonoma and S10 to access the sending unit.

Add your comment to this topic!