Camshaft Position Sensor Interrupter Magnet

catesja
08-06-2007, 11:58 PM
2000 Pontiac Montana, just hit 100,000 miles.
Has anyone changed the Camshaft Position Sensor Interrupter Magnet out/replaced it? I did the back probe test and found that after several rotations of the crank, it never dropped below 10.5 volts. It stayed in a constant 10.55-10.50 range. This would mean that the magnet is missing correct? I haven't taken the sensor back out to see if I can see anything, but I plan to do that soon. But is there an easier way than removing the engine :) I mean, not dropping the oil pan, and pulling the lower passenger side of the van apart. I also don't care to replace the timing set yet. If I have to get that deep to do the repair, then I will. I put a new sensor in, put 3 new coils in, replaced the plugs with ACDelco, new wires...... I have also probed the other wires adn they are all good. P0341 is the code present.

Also, does anyone know a part number or where I can get the magnet other than the dealership?

Thanks!

catesja
08-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Ok, it seems that the magnet is possibly permanent. It appears to be part of the actual camshaft itself and not a magnet off the sprocket. I was able to look down into the opening as I rotated the engine and saw a raised 1/4 peice or so. I was also able to run a few more diagnostics on the sensor itself and found that the sensor I had is most likely bad, even though it was new. It would work sometimes and not others. SO a new sensor is on its way and we will see by testing the sensor before putting it together. I will let you all know later in the week!

catesja
08-21-2007, 11:50 PM
Ok, Figured it out. Yes indeed the magnnet is part of the cam itself. The sensor I had purchased was indeed bad. I had it replaced under warranty, installed the new one after running the tests on it. I no longer have the SES light! Now onto the other problems!!

GregA
08-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Congratulations on figuring it out. Now go buy yourself a nice dinner as a reward :cheers:

catesja
08-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Wish I could get dinner!!!! Got to many other minor problems on this van to figure out now! Next is the rattle in the front drivers wheel area, and the knock knock when the steering wheel is turned!

Add your comment to this topic!