Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

clearing pcm

Mangoamerican
08-06-2007, 05:14 PM
does anybody know how to reset the computers on a 04 cavalier?

jakegday
08-06-2007, 06:38 PM
what exactly do you mean? clear the codes? like when your check engine light is on?? once the problem is fixed it will shut off on its own (with time) also, the same tool used to pull the codes will most likely clear the codes as well...

Mangoamerican
08-06-2007, 07:27 PM
no, thats not what i meant. i dont have any codes needing to be cleared, i just want the computer to re-calibrate itself

jakegday
08-06-2007, 10:08 PM
for what exact purpose? i cant think of why a pcm would need to be "recalibrated"....

Mangoamerican
08-06-2007, 11:05 PM
well, id like to be able to reset it. if you could help me, that would be nice... if not don't bother replying, i can wait for somebody to explain it.

i want to reset the computers in the car after an oil change or any other maintenance so its not sitting in defaults

jakegday
08-07-2007, 09:03 AM
no one can explain it unless someone like me bothers to reply and try to get a little more info so EVERYONE can try to help you

if your talking about the 3000 mile countdown oil change thing, or anything liek that, that is most definetely not your pcm, there wouldnt be a need to "reset" or "recalibrate" your pcm, it does that kind of work on its own

Mangoamerican
08-07-2007, 11:22 AM
anybody else? is there any way to clear the memory (not the programming) the stand by cache that it has learned in all your computers to make your car re-learn, i have tried unplugging the battery and cycling the key a few times.. then letting it sit for 30 mins, but it doesn't seem to reset - still cranks right up and the idle speed doesn't fluctuate - on my 97 you could really tell that it lost its information

Add your comment to this topic!