starting issue 2001 sportage

EMTSUJ
08-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Hi,

I own a 2001 Sportage and in the last couple of days it has had some starting/acceleration issues. It began with just starting a little harder than usual. Now it sputters when I first try to accelerate. This morning it started hard, spuutered, and then stalled, but started up again. When put into drive, it's sputtered and shook a bit, for about a block and then was ok. There is also a rattling sound that comes from underneath my car from time to time. Does anyone know what might be wrong? I appreciate any info, thanks on advance.

MeettheCreeper
08-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Hi,

I own a 2001 Sportage and in the last couple of days it has had some starting/acceleration issues. It began with just starting a little harder than usual. Now it sputters when I first try to accelerate. This morning it started hard, spuutered, and then stalled, but started up again. When put into drive, it's sputtered and shook a bit, for about a block and then was ok. There is also a rattling sound that comes from underneath my car from time to time. Does anyone know what might be wrong? I appreciate any info, thanks on advance.

Possible that it could be several things. I would check timing and also the fuel psi regulators leak causing difficult starting.

We have had a quite a few Sportages come to us with the timing off at low mileage. Seems the belt stretches and jumps time.

EMTSUJ
08-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks. At the risk of sounding dumb, what is a fuel psi regulator? Is this something I can do myself? I'm no mechanic, but I'd rather learn and do it myself if possible, rather than taking it into a shop.

LMP
08-08-2007, 12:38 PM
........it's sputtered and shook a bit, for about a block and then was ok. There is also a rattling sound that comes from underneath my car from time to time..
YOU have an ignition problem: first check spark plugs, but most probably wires and coil packs. A VERY common issue with that car. If need instruction for going to the plugs, check here:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=571775
The rattle comes from exhaust heat shields, also common...wait long enough and the parts will fall away...:grinyes: ..or go under and use whatever means to tighten all these parts together.
THe facat that the car eventually runs normally rules out the timing belt..for the time being. Do not forget tht past 70,000 miles, timing belt MUST be changed or the risk of getting stranded in the middle of nowhere is high...as experimented by very many....

EMTSUJ
08-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Plugs and wires, I know I can do... Coil pack is a new thing, but doesn't sound like it will be to much trouble. Looks like I will also be getting the timing done...

Thank you so much for the help and information... It's very appreciated. Have a good one!

LMP
08-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Looks like I will also be getting the timing done...
!
There is no timing adjustment: the computer does it all.
Ignition wires are available on e-bay. change wires first with the spark plugs as they are inexpensive and consider them a "compulsory" maintenance item. I had severe misses problem recently and changing ONE wire from coil pack to plug cleared it all. IN fact, I just had a verified "good" spark plug wire I had removed from my other car (that also suffered severe misses) a few days before...and I just cut it to the correct length and inserted in place of the KIA's original (that tested "opened" with an ohmeter) and bingo.
Wires "rot" inside with time and loose contact with the connector pins at the ends; A normal resistor wire tests around 1000 ohms (anything between 300 ohms and 2 k ohms is good for these short length wires) . the damaged one read "infinite" ohms. IN addition, spark eventually passes through the insulation to some convenient ground .

EMTSUJ
08-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Thank you for all the info... You have been a huge help. :)

95_sportage
08-09-2007, 02:53 PM
I have the same rattle from under my 95, it is definitely the exhaust shields - it even rattles when I shut the door (will fall off one of these days I am sure)
Your shuddering and sluggish acceleration sounds a lot like mine also (currently with a defective O2 sensor) With regards to the spark plugs, i had a related question - these are standard thread direction, right? (left to loosen?) I tried to remove one and it seemed very tight and to get tighter...i left it as I didn't want to damage the thread as I know the heads are aluminum...

Add your comment to this topic!