Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Does regular car paint work?

Integra14
11-12-2002, 03:24 PM
Dos 1:1 car paint work for Car models...Also, does 1:1 car primer and clear coat work for models.. I was thinking about making a complete replica of my bros car, but i probably can't find the paint to match his color??????? please help!:confused: :confused:

MaukaRunner
11-12-2002, 04:01 PM
I use Duplicolor automotive paints. It's a Lacquer based paint. You need to take care that the Lacquer paint does touch the plastic or else it will "craze" or melt the plastic. Use a primer sealer to coat all plastic surfaces and then spray the Lacquer.

You might have a auto paint shop mix the color of your bro's car, in Lacquer and spray it using a airbrush.

Test the paint's compatability with the primer first on a piece of scrap plastic from the kit you are building.

RyanGiorgio
11-12-2002, 04:15 PM
what does your brother drive?

Integra14
11-12-2002, 04:17 PM
1993 Dodge Stealth TWIN TURBO, in this custom whitish silver color!

Daryl
11-13-2002, 08:32 AM
Car paint works very well, just a few things to be wary of:
Like previously stated, don't let the paint contact plastic. Also, auto paint seems to be thicker than tamiya sprays and is more prone to cover detail. Be extra careful to paint in thin coats. Auto paint also seems to me to be harder than tamiya paint, so it needs more polishing effort. Apart from that, it gives great results.

Add your comment to this topic!