Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'92 cav overheating... then won't start for a period of time

POS92cav
08-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Hey... I have a 92 automatic and its been recently heating up at a fast pace after about 5 or 10 minutes of driving. I pull over before it red lines, but it takes an extremely long time to cool down and wont start back up. I check my fluids and sometimes the coolant seems ok, other times its completely empty and i fill it back up. [Possible leak?] If i try to start it back up many hours later, it starts. I can hear it struggling to start though...
Also... when the temp guage goes up, I try turning the heat on to release it, but the air coming out of the vents isn't very warm...and the temp continues to rise [according to the guage on the dash anyway]

...this has been going on for about weeks...Has the heat killed my engine? If i get the cooling system fixed will the engine be ok? If there is a problem with the engine due to the overheating what would it be and is it repairable? I can't quite afford a new car.... I'm clueless... please help :disappoin

ChemMan
08-05-2007, 12:34 PM
The fact that your heater isn't working means that you have an air bubble trapped in the cooling system. It most likely happened due to the overheating and the coolant tank overflowing and then sucking air back into the system. It probably isn't the cause of the overheating, but it has probably aggravated it though.

Now for my advice. YES, get the car fixed! If the car is overheating every time you drive it, DON'T wait to get it fixed. Waiting and hoping that the problem will go away is not a solution. Now for the bad news: you have most likely done some sort of damage to your engine. No telling how bad at this point, since the overheating will overshadow any other symptoms. Moral of the story is that waiting will only make it more expensive to fix.

OK, I'm sorry to hear about your car. Have the car TOWED to a repair facility and have it looked at. Have them give you an estimate for any repairs and go from there. If you think they are asking too much, have the car looked at by another place. If you are not sure where to take the car, try asking an auto parts store. Preferably an independent store, as the people in the chain stores are generally not that bright. Good luck with your car and if you need any advice feel free to ask.:)

:popcorn:

Add your comment to this topic!