Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Rodeo - Hard Starts

sao1burgs
08-04-2007, 10:11 PM
My 98 rodeo just keeps turning over & over. I have to give gas to get to start most of the time. I replace the Fuel Pressure Regulator & Fuel Filter. Have notice starts a lot easier with a full tank of gas, but as the tank empties, the harder it is to start. Any Help is much appreciated.

amigo-2k
08-04-2007, 10:13 PM
have you replaced the fuel filter?

sao1burgs
08-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Yes i have replaced the fuel filter.

trooperbc
08-05-2007, 01:23 AM
My 98 rodeo just keeps turning over & over. I have to give gas to get to start most of the time. I replace the Fuel Pressure Regulator & Fuel Filter. Have notice starts a lot easier with a full tank of gas, but as the tank empties, the harder it is to start. Any Help is much appreciated. how does it run once it has started? idles good? drives good? or does it burp under hard sudden acceleration? or is it struggling going up a nice long incline?

any difference for those conditions whether full tank or near empty? how convinced are you about the full tank vs. empty tank connection? i'm wondering if you have a fuel tank venting problem or evap system problem.

finally, -- since you mention needing to give it gas to get it started : have you tried starting it with the pedal all the way to the floor WOT. if this does the trick, it's possible you are dealing with a flooded condition which like the old days the WOT will help remedy that. if so, maybe you have leaky injector(s) that are allowing fuel to 'drip' into the cylinder(s). or this could be related to the evap system.

//bc

//bc

sao1burgs
08-05-2007, 10:36 AM
I have noticed a gasping sound when excellerating. Have not noticed any lossof power or sluggishness when going up hills or inclines. I will try the pedal to the floor when starting. I have notice a gas smell at times recently while driving coming through the air vents.

sao1burgs
08-05-2007, 10:44 AM
I left off about the idle. the idle is good in gear, and in neutral.

trooperbc
08-05-2007, 01:39 PM
I..... I have notice a gas smell at times recently while driving coming through the air vents.

then definitely start investigating/diagnosing the evap ventilation system. at startup, it whould not vent to the intake/combustion, because that would be too rich (which is what sounds like is your problem). maybe the controlling sensor/switches are fouled, maybe a vacuum hose is leaking or off, maybe...maybe...maybe....

that's where i would start, anyway.

i think you mentioned replacing the fuel pressure regulator? so probably not the problem, but justincase remove that vacuum hose and make sure there isn't fuel in there.

//bc

Add your comment to this topic!