Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How do you program a new key??

kgfergu
08-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Bought a wrecked HHR to rebuild for my son to drive. The key that was with it doesn't have the + on it. It will open the door and turn the ignition but the motor will not turn over. The fuel pump runs and pumps gas to the fuel rail. I can turn the key on and jump the starter relay and get it to turn over and run as long as I pour gas into the throttle body. I bought a new key with the + on it but I don't have a good key to start the engine for programming. How do I get it programmed????? Any suggestions??

rodeo02
08-09-2007, 01:40 PM
Ahhh.. welcome to the wonderful world of GM Passlock III.:banghead: You need atleast one 'programmed' key to program any more. You will have to buy another blank transponder key to the tune of ~$35 and have a dealer do their special magic on the body control module to reset the system and start fresh. Wish I knew how to do the 'start from scratch' manuever!

Joel

ken531953
10-03-2007, 10:34 PM
I bought a key from eBay and have the instructions on how to do it without a working key. If you still need the info drop me a line @ ken531953@cox.net

rodeo02
10-05-2007, 09:28 PM
I bought a key from eBay and have the instructions on how to do it without a working key. If you still need the info drop me a line @ ken531953@cox.net

You have the GM passlock III reset procedure? (starting completely over with a new transponder key) Let's have it for the good of the board man!:runaround: You'd be a great asset to many owners with this info.

Joel

pjrmike
03-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Hey,Ken531953
I did order one from Ebay & know need help to How do you program a new key. If you do not mined.

pjrmike

ken531953
03-02-2008, 10:25 AM
IF NO OTHER WORKING KEY FOR THE CAR IS AVAILABLE:

1 Put the newly cut master key into the keyway and turn it to the ON (run) position. A “Security” indicator on the dashboard will stay on for 10 minutes.

2 Within 1 minute after the indicator light goes off, turn the ignition to the “OFF” then return to the on (run) position. The indicator light again will stay on for 10 minutes. (DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY)

3 Again, within 1 minute after the indicator light goes off, turn the ignition to “OFF” then return to the ON (RUN) position. The indicator light stay on for 10 minutes. (DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY)

4 When the indicator light goes of for the third time the new key is programmed into the computer and will start the car. Remove the and then re-insert it into the ignition and start the car.

5 ALL PREVIOUSLY STORED CODES WILL BE ERASED. TO THE STOP THE PROCESS AT ANY TIME, SIMPLY REMOE THE KEY AND USE AN EXISTING KEY TO START THE CAR.

FOR CARS WHERE YOU WANT TO JUST CREATE A SPARE KAY:

1 Place the already programmed key in the ignition.

2 Clycle the ignition from OFF to on (RUN) to off

3 Within 15 second, insert the new, properly cut Transponder key in the ignition. Turn the key to ON (RUN). The “Security “ indicator light will go on and off. Turn the key to “OFF”

4 The key will now start the car. Repeat the second step for each new key to be programmed.

RogBed
10-09-2008, 01:50 PM
I work/volunteer for a Police Department. We have gotten two 2007 HHR's for cruisers, replacing our Crown Vics (still not in agreement with that decision, but that's another topic). We want to get spare keys made up for all the Officers to have for themselves. The Police Department mechanic claims that if the vehicle was manufactured in 2006 BEFORE November, then we don't have to get programmable spare keys, just keys cut anywhere they can do it (hardware store, key shop, etc.). Is there any truth to that or are we going to have to go and get programmable keys from the dealer or online? We have the originals, so could we purchase programmable blanks and program them ourselves and save money or are we stuck going through the dealer? Thanks for any info in advance. :wink:

Add your comment to this topic!