CAI -or- SRI, worth risk of hydrolocking???

JonB91
08-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Ok ive got a pretty complex question regarding air intakes

1. im getting a honda accord ex-l v6 2dr and i want an air intake
2. CAI or SRI
cai get 5-7 hp gain, and SRI get 1-3 if that
3. my question is it it worth getting a cai and risk hydrolocking for only 5hp gain or should i just get the SRI intake.
4. its not the proformence im looking for its more the sound and look, because its a honda and its minimal hp gain

Should i go with a cai -or- im also thinking about getting a hood scoop, should i just get a SRI in that case?

i hope you can understand all that lol

CivicSpoon
08-03-2007, 03:04 PM
If you're just looking for sound, go with the short ram. Forget about the hood scoop, you're not going to gain anything from it other than being called a ricer more often. Although, buying an intake just for the sound will get you called that as well. But with a cai, you're getting power gains through most of the powerband. And with the sri, you're getting power mostly in the higher rpms and probably losing power in the lower rpms (though I'm not positive since it is a V6 and not a 4-cylinder). If you're worried about hydrolocking, just be careful where and when you drive it. If you see a big puddle in the road, then go over it really slow. And with a cai, you can always just take off the bottom tube and put the filter on that to make it a sri if it's raining too bad.

JonB91
08-03-2007, 03:22 PM
im not getting an intake just for the sound, its just a good place to start, and for the minimal hp gains its pretty much look, i was thinking aobut getting a AEM air bypass valve but i heard that it lowers the gain a couple hp, so is it worth just getting the SRI

the noise isnt overly loud is it?

CivicSpoon
08-03-2007, 04:13 PM
Every engine and car is different, so there's no way to really tell if it will be too loud or not. I had a 3" sri on my civic and I had to take it off because it was way too loud at the higher rpms (and it killed my low end power & mpg).

JonB91
08-03-2007, 04:20 PM
the accord engine is pretty quiet as it is so i dont know how loud it will be,

why does it kill your mpg?

would the CAI be any less loud and will it still kill mpg

is it only loud when you slam on the gass or is it just like highway speed

CivicSpoon
08-03-2007, 06:57 PM
For me it killed my gas mileage because I have a highly under powered CX Civic (70hp). So I had to floor the car at lower rpms to get it to move at all. And by flooring it, obviously I had to use a lot more gas. But a lot of people have complained about loss of low end power with the sri, probably not nearly as bad as I experienced but it does happen. But it probably won't be that bad with your car since you have a lot more torque than a Civic does. And it's usually only loud when you slam on the gas or you're at higher rpms, other wise it will be just as quiet as stock (or close). With the CAI on the other hand, you shouldn't experience power loss except for a little in the mid range (probably not anything noticeable). And the CAI will also be much quieter.

JonB91
08-03-2007, 11:26 PM
yeah i would get a cai but im afraid of fucking up my engine if i run a puddle.

im assuming you know much more about intakes than i do. the AEM CAI is the only one that offers a air bypass valve (drinking through a straw with a hole in it im assuming) but i heard that injen has better made CAI and you dont pay too much for the name. are AEM products ok or will the valve work on injen.

thanx for the help by the way

00accord44
08-04-2007, 03:35 AM
the bypass valve requires you to cut the pipe so it can be used on any similar intake as long as the diameter matches. But don't rely on the bpv as a safety net too much because the valves have been known to get sucked into intake manifolds on accident

AudioGuy93DelSol
08-04-2007, 03:36 AM
That valve only works when the filter is completely submerged. Basically you're still at risk. I recommend the ram aim intake and just make a little heat shield to face the engine if you're concerned about hot air.

JonB91
08-04-2007, 11:13 AM
heat shield like just take a piece of sheet metal and bend it around the filter ?
thanx for the help

AudioGuy93DelSol
08-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Yeah, you can even buy pre-made ones. I've seen them at autozone.

JonB91
08-04-2007, 04:44 PM
so you think that that is the best option? and for sure stay away from scoops, what about a low profile body kit or lip do you know of any?

Sitruc_bc
08-05-2007, 02:51 AM
I'd say SRI, then again, I live by the ocean. :P I have an AEM SRI on my 98 lude and it's not too loud. When you floor it, it gets pretty loud, not like jet engine style or anything, but it's still pretty loud. I haven't noticed any power loss from my SRI, but then again, it's a different motor. I actually gained a few mpg with it.

As for a hood scoop or body kit, scoops can look good, but I don't know about body kits or lips. Some body kits I've seen don't look very nice. They take away from the overall appearance of the car really. Some body kits look good though, but you gotta be smart about them. I saw a Dodge Neon with a body kit and it looked horrible. The Neon is a bubbly round car. You'd think a guy would stick to the shape and find a nice curvy lip or skirts, but this body kit made it look like half a space shuttle or something. Crazy jagged edges and stuff. It wasn't too good looking. Alot of Prelude body kits I don't like. Quite a few people put the Greddy front lip on their ludes, but I don't like how it looks. But eh, that's just me. :P I'd say put some lowering springs in and you're good to go!

DJ_EpHaNt
08-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Not worth the gain....5 Hp? if that, I say 2-3...and for the risk of hydro lock. I have done it to my car once (and yes I still have a CAI).

And getting a bypass defeats the purpose. like someone mentioned like drinking through a straw with a hole in it.

If you really are that desperate for 2 HP just get some good scissors and cut off your power steering belt, at least you will not ruin your engine that way, and it is good exersice.:)

Add your comment to this topic!