Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission Fluid Change from Ford Shop Manual

MrCreosote
08-03-2007, 10:25 AM
I can't refind the thread but the best info I found on this forum was what someone quoted from the shop manual.

It was something like:

Drain pan,
Put 10 quarts of fluid in,
Disconnect cooler, start engine and run out 5 quarts,
Till transmission to full with about 3 quarts.

Can anyone post the actual method?

Very much thanks in advance,
Tom

__________________________________________________ _____

I found it. It was posted by lord_kelvin (thankyou!):
The Ford service manual for my 98 Windstar states the following:

1) Disconnect trans-cooler line at radiator
2) Connect a hose to line and put end into large containter
3) Start car and run until fluid flow sputters (removes 2-3qts)
4) Add 10 qts
5) Start car and run until fluid flow sputters (removes more 10qts)
6) Re-connect trans-cooler line
7) Add 2-3 qts until full

I dropped the pan to change the filter after the 3rd step. Expect to use 12.5qts if you do just the above. It takes an additional quart to drop the pan.

Also, if you don't want to mess with the quick-release fittings, you might want to get a hose splice-fitting and some clamps and just cut the hose in the middle.

WARNING: do not continue to run the vehicle after fluid-flow sputters. It's probably best to have a second person help you with this.

12Ounce
08-03-2007, 08:33 PM
It would be extra work, but I've wondered about reversing the flow through the coolers during this flush process. It could be done right at the tranny. Bet the reverse flow would remove more crud/debris from the coolers.

Whaddayathimpk??

MrCreosote
08-04-2007, 12:50 AM
I've read that a lot of cooler pipes are stuffed with "stuff" that improves heat transfer into the liquid. The "stuff" conducts heat from the inner wall.

They also say when you get debris in a transmission, you have to replace these types of coolers because the debris gets all trapped in the stuff and you can never really clean it out.

Frankly, I don't think the issue is so much removing sediment as it is getting fresh fluid that still has all of its molecules intact.

Tom

PS. I had a big edit to my first post and lost it because of some problem with the site and logons. Really made me mad.

wiswind
08-04-2007, 09:11 AM
There have been posts by people who have followed the FORD process to the letter...and it worked.
The process that I show in my pictures is a very slight variation from that....only in the amount of fluid added after the pan drain.

MrCreosote
08-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Wiswind,

Is your method to incrementally add quarts after you refill to full? Because that is the best method to get the cleanest fluid.

The Ford method is inferior because 1) they leave about 4 dirty quarts in the pan, and 2) all of those 10 quarts of which 7.5 are overfilled are contaminated with dirty fluid.

However, the Ford method is the easiest.

Frankly, I would love to make a fluid accumulator. You fill one side of the piston with clean fluid and route to the fill tube, then route the other side to the pump output. For every quart pumped out, one quart would be "pushed" into the fill tube.

Frankly, I think they may make such devices for marine oil changes.

wiswind
08-05-2007, 07:19 AM
Yes, my method is the incremental method.....add fluid in increments equal to the amount that I pumped out.....stopping the engine when the flow has slowed or started to sputter bubbles.

The method that you mention sounds similar to the way a shop would replace the fluid.....adding new fluid in the amount and rate that the old fluid comes out.

I use a Magnefine filter in the cooler line that filters to a finer level than the internal factory filter.
I change the Magnefine at 5K or so miles.
The once a year that I pull a small trailer on a trip, I remove the Magnefine filter to make sure that I get maximum fluid flow through the cooler line.
I also went to a yearly transmission fluid change (close to 20K miles), so I don't have to keep track of the mileage......just do it once a year.

There are several methods that people use, change just the fluid in the pan at each oil change, etc.....main point is to change the fluid BEFORE having problems with the transmission.
FORD lists fluid change at 30K miles for normal service, 21K miles for severe service.....and it is important to do this.....If you wait until the service mileage....a complete fluid exchange should be done.
There are people who don't think of changing the fluid until the transmission starts acting up, and they are very lucky if they get by with just a fluid change.

Add your comment to this topic!