Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Trailblazer oil issues

SteveW79
08-02-2007, 07:31 PM
My friend has a 03 trailblazer with the 4.2 vortec engine in it and 86k on the engine, and the oil level is always low,it seems to use a bit of oil, like a quart every few hundred miles.. it doesn't leak any oil and I do not see any idication of it burning it. I am not familiar with these vehicles but was looking for some help of if this is a common thing for these engines... thanks for any info.

maxwedge
08-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Welcome to AF, not common at all, if no leaks and he is reading this properly there are internal engine problems.

zepcom
08-17-2007, 01:08 PM
My friend has a 03 trailblazer with the 4.2 vortec engine in it and 86k on the engine, and the oil level is always low,it seems to use a bit of oil, like a quart every few hundred miles.. it doesn't leak any oil and I do not see any idication of it burning it. I am not familiar with these vehicles but was looking for some help of if this is a common thing for these engines... thanks for any info.

If it's not burning it... and it's not leaking it... check the antifreeze (is it still red/orange, or does it have discoloration? If so, the oil could be mixing with the antifreeze and this is not good)...

The other thing to take note of... is that the 4.2L Inline 6 takes a full 7 Quarts of oil with filter change.

Thus, some of the instant oil change places may be used to more standard engines in trucks this size (previous generation blazers with the 4.3L V6 only took 4.5Qts of Oil) ...

So if it is burning the oil, have him take it to a mechanic to have it looked at. If it's just low on oil, make sure that 7qts gets put in next time it goes in for a change.

Crawl under the truck and see if there's any leaks anywhere... if it's not burning it and not leaking it, then that oil has to either be going somewhere, or it was never put in in the first place!!

Hope this helps

--zepcom

Add your comment to this topic!