Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 passat v6 - a/c not working - electrical???

johnmr
08-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Hi everybody...

My 99 Passat v6 a/c stopped working. When the car starts the display on the a/c flashes with all the symbols showing. (Like a broken calculator that flashes "8888888".) It automatically turns itself off after the screen flashes a few times. If I try to manipulate it, the screen works fine and displays properly, the fan works, but no cold air blows no matter what settings I use. I can not hear or feel the compressor cycling, so I assumed it was out of r134a and maybe a low level sensor shut off the compressor automatically or something, so I took it to the shop. Mechanic says that he thinks it is a computer problem with the electronics in the dash, but wasn't sure and suggested I take it to the dealer. Dealer says that they think it is the electronics in the dash, but aren't sure either. I've been quoted upwards of $1,000.00 for them to replace it all and I'm just not sure I want to pay 1k for someone to "try" to fix the problem.

Has anyone experienced this before or have a suggestion that I could try before spending 1k on something that may or may not work?

Btw: No "check engine" or warning lights, no symptoms prior to it stopping, no other indicators that I can see that would help narrow this problem down.

Thanks for any speedy responses. Texas is pretty toasty in August...

- johnmr -

Add your comment to this topic!