Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine sizes

mud slinger
07-31-2007, 07:42 PM
i was wondering how big the biggest engine is with the most horsepower also i was wondering if the smaller engines are faster than the bigger engines

AMGalltheway
08-08-2007, 11:00 AM
how old are you:eek7:

generally the bigger the better but sometimes the smaller engines have high output and less weight
every engine is different

Gotian
08-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Biggest engine meaning what exactly?

you have inline 6 supras pushing 1200hp, you have LS1 and LS2 engines which are V8 but are smaller and lighter than that big 6 cylinder pushing just as much power as that inline 6. You have a 3 rotor engine in an RX-8 pushing 1200hp. What is the difference? the rest of the car. The RX-8 is considerable lighter than the supra is. The LS1 & LS2 vehicles can most likely hook up better than the supra will since the cars come from a drag racing history. Not to mention all the suspension work and chassis stability you need to do in order to keep the car from completely destroying itself.

So it's not always engine size, it's tune, weight, and a combination of things.

AMGalltheway
08-08-2007, 12:46 PM
thank you for saying what i was trying to say

MrPbody
09-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Yup, how big is "big"? NHRA T/F cars have 500 CID, yet make about 8,000 horsepower. The same engine, with less volitale fuel makes about 3,000. NHRA Pro Stock engines are 500 CID and make about 1,300 HP with gasoline and no power adders. IHRA P/S engines are 738 CID, use nitrous, and still don't quite get down the track as quick as their NHRA counterparts.

There's a 4 cylinder diesel in ships that makes over 5,000 HP, and about 15K lb. ft. of torque! A 6' man can stand IN the bore.

Wanna narrow this question down a bit? (how old you are is irrelevant, as you're never too young or too old to learn something)

Jim

Add your comment to this topic!