Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Project Search

Rilec
07-31-2007, 04:39 PM
Hi, I'm looking for a muscle car for my father and I to restore as I am a Sophomore in High School and there are alot of Preps, Jocks, Richies, etc. etc. I'm not looking for anything flashy. All I want is something between 1960 - 1979 with the classic muscle car body style (Mustang, Charger, Cuda, etc.) that runs and drives. I don't want anything with major body damage from accidents or anything of the like. I know it's alot to ask but it needs to be no more than $5000. Any suggestions with links and/or pics is much appreciated.

Thanks

livewire516
07-31-2007, 07:16 PM
1966-67 Tempest/LeMans
If the right one was close enough, I wouldn't be driving my Firebird. Nothing is more BA the a 1967 Burgundy GTO pontiac A-Body. Parts aren't too easy to find. Get an interchange book.
1968-70 Tempest/LeMans
Parts are slightly harder to get.
1972-74 Challenger
If you're one of the few people that can stand the challenger's later looks, good for you; however they don't seem to be so cheap anymore.
1967-69 Firebird
I have one, love them. It's the Camaro's classier, more affordable cousin. Parts are pretty easy to get, second to the mustangs.
1970-1973 Firebird
Not that much cheaper than the 1st gens, parts are harder to get. But if it does it for you.
1974-1978 Firebird If you avoid the trans am, these cars are cheap. Get an esprite.
1964-1968 Mustang (not-fastback)
IMHO nothing is more American, or more diffecult to screw up. So many sources for parts it would be the easiest car for you, but a 289/302 or even 351 is by no means a pavement pounder.
1970-71 Torino/Rachero
Ford's Chevelle and Elky, a whole lot cheaper, but parts are diffecult to find. (Diffecult=expensive)
1967 El Camino
1968-69 El Camino
1970-72 El Camino
Elky's are just cool, although you'll never stop hearing Portoriccan jokes, also... no back seat :banghead: but 68's on actually heavy better weight distribution than chevelles.

PS. You're in my situation: soon ur friends who wonder why don't you just ask mommy and daddy for a bimmer ('cause I'm not loaded), and tell you you're buying old junk start to tell how jealous they are.

Rilec
07-31-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks very much for the descriptions and details. Now, if you or anyone else has links to a/some site(s) that have muscle car classifieds it would be greatly appreciated. I have gone to countless amounts of sites that have muscle car classifieds and have found a few things but I would love to see more if you, or anyone else, has/have any. Thanks

pistolpete93
01-27-2008, 09:41 PM
i don't know if you have tried craigslist but its really worth a try. They have anything you could want in every state i haven't had much luck looking for muscle cars but you might depending on where you live.

MagicRat
01-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Thank you for the input and welcome to AF.
In future, please try not to revive old threads, as some members find it annoying.
As this one is about 6 months old, I'll close it.

Add your comment to this topic!