Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

OBD-II, data logging on a '95

TomB985
07-31-2007, 10:03 AM
Hi, everyone.

I am looking into getting a laptop OBD-II adapter from AutoTap. I already have a basic one that reads PXXXX codes, but I would like one where I can read live data for diagnosing problems on my '95 Blazer.

My Blazer is one of the early OBD-II cars, and interfaces fine with my Actron code scanner, but since it is a '95 it was made before OBD-II was mandated on all cars. AutoTap says that it is not compatible, but since my current scan tool works, I think it may.

Does anyone know if this would be fully compatible, past retrieving and erasing codes? Does the '95 support live data logging?

Blue Bowtie
07-31-2007, 10:29 AM
I have an AutoTap program as well, and it doesn't communicate fully with the OBD-1½ systems. That's why I have an MT-2500, although the data logging feature is somewhat limited (to 30-second "movies"), it can at least capture data. AutoTap works reasonably well for anything 1996-newer (true OBD-II).

donwkk
07-31-2007, 11:16 AM
I have a 95 Jimmy. I can watch live data on my Auto Xray xp240. My 95 requires the vehicle specific connector. It does not have an OBDI or OBDII connector, it is a specific GM connector which I got with the auto Xray.

When the EGR pintle got stuck due to a piece of carbon I was able to see the pintle position ( open at idle which of course it should never be). When the egr is working properly I can read it's position and watch it change as I drive.

I can't recall all the live data I can read but a few are RPM's - vehicle speed - map - egr - TPS - engine temp - run time - volts - lean/rich - AC on or off - brake on or off - tcc on or off - in park or not - oxy sensor etc etc.

TomB985
07-31-2007, 11:23 AM
No OBD-II connecter? Strange!

Apparently GM did all sorts of crazy things back then...I've been doing lots of research and it seems that there are some S-10s with the OBD-II connector that are NOT OBD-II, some without the OBD-II connecter at all, and some that are true OBD-II.

Apparently the way to find out is look at the connector under the dash and see if pin 2 is populated, and 10 is empty. If this is true, apparently it's OBD-II. Mine is. Also, under the hood, on one of the emissions labels, in the bottom right corner it says in very small print "OBD-II certified".

Here's a good thread on the subject....
http://www.obdii.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000250.html

Mine is an early build '95 Blazer LT, built in 11/04, and it's OBD-II....

After sending 5 emails back and forth to the guys at autotap, I think it'll work!

Add your comment to this topic!