Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Corsica Oil Pressure spiking

Lil Freek
07-30-2007, 09:18 PM
I've started working on my friend's car, recently, and there's an odd problem.

I turn on the car, it idles fine for 10min or so, then stalls out. I was playing in the engine bay and nothing seems wrong. No shorts, no bad wires, no loose belts, engine sounds rough - but good for a 14yr old car.

Only really weird thing that I noticed when i jumped in the driver's seat is that once i restart the car, it'll stall almost immediately after i restart.
I restart again and give it a little throttle, and the oil pressure gauge spikes up when i apply some throttle.

Anybody had this happen? I thought bad oil filter, but what about bad oil pressure regulator? any other ideas as to what could cause this. I don't even want to pull the car out of the driveway if the oil pressure's skyrocketting like that.

jsgold
07-31-2007, 05:33 PM
I doubt if the oil pressure is causing this. Does the car have a oil guage on it? Normally they just have oil lights and temp and gas guages, although yours may be different. The most common problems for a car stalling after running are 1- weak ignition module(flat device sits under your coils), crank sensor, and TCC solenoid. The TCC causes the car to stall while driving, re starts then stalls in gear when engine is hot. The module and / or crank sensor will heat up and stall while running. Outside chance a fuel pump could be failing or EGR valve, but these are the most common items as far as stalling go. The car should not be running rough either, regardless of age. Our 91 has over 200K miles and still runs great.

Add your comment to this topic!