Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

squeaking noise when turning steering

eescobar2003
07-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Now a year ago started with Squeaking when turning steering it happens where the shock absorber coil and mounting kit is. Changed 3 months ago the mounting base (returned under warranty to parts supplier since previously 2yr had changed for rattle/clunk noises) and now with new replaced ones quiet very nice as new again.. With recent rains it started again the right side. feel like the car is 10 years older. Bought silicon lubricant spray but hard to get to the noise area. Where exactly happens this nasty noise, what do ai need to replace.

xeroinfinity
07-30-2007, 11:09 AM
welcome to AF.

Whats your year , model, engine size??????????
These are all important ...

but right off I'd say the rubber/foam pads that were supposeed to be installed were not.
Should be between the spring and spring seat/bearing plate.
This keeps them from sqeekin!

eescobar2003
07-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks for responsing, I added the car year and model while you were typing thenks.
I saw when they change the mounting base and I took used ones back to the parts supplier. Are the coil-springs also needed to be changed?

Jmoney3318
07-30-2007, 11:35 AM
my spings and struts started clunking and taking hard drops on ramps and potholes, i changed my strut mounts and no more clunking just squeeking fromthe wheel which i was told is my cv joints so with nextcheck ill be gettin new ones put on and hopefully my suspension mods should be done for awhile lol

xeroinfinity
07-30-2007, 12:52 PM
If the springs are not busted or broke, then I wouldnt replace tnem.

Thier should be a foam pad between the spring and top plate to keep them from sqeekin.
If it's not installed, it can possibly break the top piece of the spring if it gets bound and cant move freely. I've seen it happen.

Another thing that sqeeks is the rubber boot on the steering colum down by the fire wall.

Add your comment to this topic!