Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Bravada windshield wiper problem

greggreg
07-30-2007, 09:57 AM
While I'm bugging folks about OBD codes, I'll throw this one out too!:grinno: My windshield wipers have a strange problem. They alway turn on but, especially in cold weather, they will not turn off. No matter how you turn the control, they just keep running. Sometimes they stop in the correct down position, and sometimes they just stop anywhere on the wipe cycle. Also, whenever the wipers will not stop, the washer will not squirt. In fact, sometimes if you hit the washer tab control, you get wipers that go on and won't stop and no fluid. This is an intermittent condition that almost always happens in the winter and only rarely happens in the summer (thus apparently temp related). Any ideas on the problem? (Note: I long ago fixed the ground problem - which had different symptom: wipers wouldn't start.) Thanks!

MT-2500
07-30-2007, 11:58 AM
While I'm bugging folks about OBD codes, I'll throw this one out too!:grinno: My windshield wipers have a strange problem. They alway turn on but, especially in cold weather, they will not turn off. No matter how you turn the control, they just keep running. Sometimes they stop in the correct down position, and sometimes they just stop anywhere on the wipe cycle. Also, whenever the wipers will not stop, the washer will not squirt. In fact, sometimes if you hit the washer tab control, you get wipers that go on and won't stop and no fluid. This is an intermittent condition that almost always happens in the winter and only rarely happens in the summer (thus apparently temp related). Any ideas on the problem? (Note: I long ago fixed the ground problem - which had different symptom: wipers wouldn't start.) Thanks!

Most wiper problems are in the wiper circuit board solder joints.
Some were under reacall.
if not check solder joints or replace circuit board.

greggreg
07-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks MT 2500. I think I'll try reflowing all solder joints (kind of a long shot) and check the recall list. I've already looked for broken traces and re-torq'ed the 'feelers' - no luck. After reflow, I guess it is circuit card replacement. Can I get the circuit card as a single item (dealer I'm sure!) or do I have to buy an entire wiper unit?

MT-2500
07-30-2007, 01:22 PM
You can get it at dealer or most parts places.
Ask for wiper pulse board.
If soldering it take a magnifying glass and look for solder cracks on back of circuit board usually where power feeds into board.

Rick Norwood
07-30-2007, 01:47 PM
I had a wiper ghost problem on a 93 S-10 Blazer, turned out to be the switch in the steering column.

Add your comment to this topic!